Shift in Mercury's Perihelion by finite light speed

In summary, a woman published a simple computation of the relativistic shift in Mercury's perihelion using the principle of relativity. Another person calculated the difference in acceleration due to general relativity and obtained a result of 36.7 arcseconds. The article by the woman can be found at the links provided. However, it is noted that different relativistic theories predict perihelion shifts in opposite directions.
TeddySciGuy
Someone published a simple computation of the relativistic shift in Mercury's perihelion (over and above classical, ie. the small correction over the classical-mechanical shift) by more or less using
the principle of relativity. I believe it was a she and she computed how far mercury travels in the time it takes for a photon to reach Mercury from the Sun. I'm not sure what value she got but it was probably very close - like within 5 or 10% of a full General-relativistic or Goldstein-mechanics book approach. Another guy did it by calculating the difference in the acceleration of Mercury due to GR effects and proceeding from there. He gets like 36.7 arcseconds.
Just wondering, does anyone know where that calculation by the woman is? I like their off-the-cuff estimates as there is some good physics in those approaches. I just lost the article - I will eventually find it so no big worry.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

What is the significance of the shift in Mercury's perihelion by finite light speed?

The shift in Mercury's perihelion by finite light speed refers to the observed difference in the position of Mercury's closest point to the Sun (perihelion) due to the finite speed of light. This phenomenon is important because it provides evidence for the theory of relativity proposed by Albert Einstein.

How much does the shift in Mercury's perihelion occur?

The shift in Mercury's perihelion is approximately 43 seconds of arc per century. This may seem like a small amount, but it is a significant difference that can only be explained by the finite speed of light and the effects of gravity.

How does the shift in Mercury's perihelion support Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity predicts that the speed of light is constant and that gravity can affect the path of light. The shift in Mercury's perihelion is a direct result of these principles and provides strong evidence for the accuracy of Einstein's theory.

Can the shift in Mercury's perihelion be observed directly?

No, the shift in Mercury's perihelion is too small to be observed directly with the naked eye. It can only be measured through precise astronomical observations and calculations.

Are there other planets or objects that experience a shift in perihelion due to finite light speed?

Yes, other planets such as Venus and Earth also experience a similar shift in perihelion, although it is smaller than that of Mercury. Additionally, other astronomical objects such as binary stars and asteroids can also exhibit this phenomenon.