Review My Work: Arranging Atoms & Ions by Radius

In summary, C4H8 is a gas at 25degcel because the bonds are weak and that gives this compound a low boiling temp. C20H40 is a solid at 25degcel because it has more electrons.
RPN
Okay I did my work but if someone would be so kind as to look at it and see if I am understanding.
Questions
1. Explain why you would expect a BeF2 molecule to be linear but an SF2 molecule to be angular?
BeF2 forms an ionic bond with 2 single bonds. Since Be is in group IIA it forms two sp hybrid orbitals. The farthest away the pairs can be is 180 o angle, making it linear. SF2 forms two covalent bonds with two F atoms. Having four pairs of electrons around the S atom the farthest away they can be is in an angular shape.

2a) How would you designate the hybrid orbitals formed by "mixing" one d, one s and two p orbitals?
a) When mixing one d orbital, one s orbital and 2 p orbitals you get dsp2.
b) How many of the hybrid orbitals would be formed by the mixing?
b) The number you put in is the number you get as a result. So in this case we put in 4 orbitals we then get 4 hybrid orbitals.

3. Explain why C20H40 is a solid at 25degcel, while C4H8 is a gas at 25degcel?
39. C20H40 is a solid at 25o C because has more electrons. With more electrons you get more forces that can hold the lattice pattern together. C4H8 is a gas at 25o C because the bonds are weak and that gives this compound a low boiling temp.

4.Arrange the following atoms or ions in order of increasing radius:
Cl, S2-, K, K+, O
if an explanation for teh position of S2- in relation to the atom or ion in front and behind it.
OK I have:31.
O, S2-, K+, Cl ,K
------------------>
increasing radius

S2- is smaller than K+ in this case because it has a configuration the same as Ar, a noble gas. Moving horizontally in the periodic table the radius decreases in size.
S2- is bigger than Cl because?
If someone would look over my answers and see if i am correct or even close.
Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
2 is entirely correct.1 is okay.Indeed the nonbonding pairs distort the linear structure.At 3,there's a connection between the molar mass and the the # of atoms in the hydro-carbide.

4.The order should be

O,Cl,K^{+},S^{2-},K

------------------------------>
increasing ionic/atomic radius.

1.The # of electrons and the # of shells are the main criteria.
2.For isoelectronic configurations,the largest radius corresponds to the smaller nuclear charge.

Daniel.

oops.

Sorry about that, I should read better before posting.. I understand it now

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of arranging atoms and ions by radius in scientific research?

The purpose of arranging atoms and ions by radius is to understand the behavior and properties of elements and compounds. This arrangement helps scientists predict and explain trends in chemical reactions, atomic bonding, and physical properties.

2. How are atoms and ions arranged by radius?

Atoms and ions are typically arranged in order of increasing atomic or ionic radius. This means that the smallest atoms or ions are placed first, followed by progressively larger ones. The elements are usually arranged in a table format, known as the periodic table.

3. What is the significance of atomic and ionic radius?

The atomic and ionic radius provides valuable information about the size and structure of an atom or ion. This information can be used to determine the reactivity and chemical properties of an element, as well as its behavior in different environments.

4. How can the periodic table be used to predict properties of elements?

The periodic table provides a systematic way to organize and categorize elements based on their atomic and ionic properties. This arrangement can be used to predict the physical and chemical properties of elements, such as melting point, boiling point, reactivity, and electronegativity.

5. Are there any exceptions to the trend of increasing atomic and ionic radius?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the trend of increasing atomic and ionic radius. For example, the noble gases, which are found in the far right column of the periodic table, have smaller atomic radii than expected due to their stable, full outer electron shells. Additionally, ions of different charges may have different radii, as the number of electrons and their placement in the electron cloud can affect the size of the ion.