Would anyone like to comment on my proof?

• Thread starter Jyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: I don't see any complications for the non-finite case either. Just replace min with inf and max with sup. Am I mistaken?No, the infimum is always a number. The only exception is if the infimum is a negative number.
Jyan
I previously posted this related thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4663806&posted=1#post4663806

I am working on some MIT OCW for probability theory (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...y-fall-2008/assignments/MIT6_436JF08_hw01.pdf) I attempted exercise 3a and wrote it out here, but quickly realized it was wrong because you can't necessarily find an ordering that is so convenient. I've been working on this problem for hours though, anyone able to provide some assistance?

My previous attempt:

Given [tex] f : A\times B \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]

Where A,B are finite and non-empty.

Prove: [tex] \max_{x\in A} \min_{y\in B} f(x,y) \le \min_{y\in B} \max_{x\in A} f(x,y) [/tex]

proof:

Let N be the number of elements in A, and M the number of elements in B.

Construct an ordered list of tuples,

[tex] C = \big[(x_0, y_0), ... , (x_0, y_M), (x_1, y_0), ... ,(x_1, y_M), ... , (x_N, y_0), ... , (x_N, y_M)\big] [/tex]

According to

[tex] (x,y) \le (x', y') \Longleftrightarrow f(x,y) \le f(x', y') [/tex]

That is, C is ordered such that the smallest elements of C produce the smallest values of f, and the largest elements of C produce the largest values of f.

Now construct two new sets A' and B' where

[tex] A' = Range \big\{\min_{y\in B} f(x,y)\big\} = \big\{f(x,y_0): x\in A\big\}[/tex]

[tex] B' = Range \big\{\max_{x\in a} f(x,y)\big\} = \big\{f(x_N, y): y\in B\big\}[/tex]

By the ordering on C

[tex] \forall a,b \in A', B' \space a \le b [/tex]

[tex] \blacksquare [/tex]

I feel like I'm pretty close... I just need to fix the problem with creating the ordering for C.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're overthinking this.

Jyan said:
I previously posted this related thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4663806&posted=1#post4663806

I am working on some MIT OCW for probability theory (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...y-fall-2008/assignments/MIT6_436JF08_hw01.pdf) I attempted exercise 3a and wrote it out here, but quickly realized it was wrong because you can't necessarily find an ordering that is so convenient. I've been working on this problem for hours though, anyone able to provide some assistance?

My previous attempt:

Given [tex] f : A\times B \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]

Where A,B are finite and non-empty.

Prove: [tex] \max_{x\in A} \min_{y\in B} f(x,y) \le \min_{y\in B} \max_{x\in A} f(x,y) [/tex]

Let's unpack this. Imagine a grid, in which the columns are labelled by [itex]A[/itex] and the rows are labelled by [itex]B[/itex]. Then
[tex]
g(x) = \min_{y \in B} f(x,y)
[/tex]
is the smallest element in column [itex]x[/itex] and
[tex]
h(y) = \max_{x \in A} f(x,y)
[/tex]
is the largest element in row [itex]y[/itex]. Now you're asked to show that
[tex]
\max_{x \in A} g(x) \leq \min_{y \in B} h(y).
[/tex]
The way to do that is to show that, for all [itex]x \in A[/itex] and all [itex]y \in B[/itex], we have
[tex]
g(x) \leq h(y)
[/tex]
or, in other words, the smallest element in column [itex]x[/itex] is less than or equal to the largest element in row [itex]y[/itex].

We know that column [itex]x[/itex] and row [itex]y[/itex] have a common element: [itex]f(x,y)[/itex].

Can you use that common element to show that [itex]g(x) \leq h(y)[/itex]?

Likes 1 person
Since for all x, y,
[tex] f(x,y) \le \max_{z\in A} f(z,y) [/tex]
Minimizing both sides over y in B, we have, for all x,
[tex] \min_{y\in B} f(x,y) \le \min_{y\in B} \max_{z\in A} f(z,y) [/tex]

So
[tex] \max_{x\in A} \min_{y\in B} f(x,y) \le \min_{y\in B} \max_{x\in A} f(x,y) [/tex]

[tex]g(x) = \min_{y\in B}f(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]h(y) = \max_{x\in A}f(x,y)[/tex]

[tex] \forall x,y \in A,B \space \space g(x) \le f(x,y), \space h(y) \ge f(x,y)[/tex]

[tex] \therefore g(x) \le f(x,y) \le h(y) [/tex]

And,

[tex] \max_{x\in A} \min_{y\in B} f(x,y) \le \min_{y\in B} \max_{x \in A} f(x,y) [/tex]

Is this correct?

I don't see any complications for the non-finite case either. Just replace min with inf and max with sup. Am I mistaken?

Jyan said:
I don't see any complications for the non-finite case either. Just replace min with inf and max with sup. Am I mistaken?

Looks good to me.

Jyan said:

Are we going to allow an infimum to be a "number" like [itex] -\infty [/itex] ?

Stephen Tashi said:
Are we going to allow an infimum to be a "number" like [itex] -\infty [/itex] ?

That is typical for the infimum isn't it? Does this cause problems?

Jyan said:
That is typical for the infimum isn't it? Does this cause problems?

Since "minimum" often implies that the minimum value is actually attained, the proofs are better on infinite sets with "infimum". ∞ should not be a problem, as long as we agree that -∞ = -∞ and ∞ = ∞.

What is a proof and why is it important?

A proof is a logical and systematic argument that demonstrates the validity of a statement or proposition. It allows us to verify the truth of a claim, which is crucial in fields such as mathematics and science where accuracy is essential.

How do I know if my proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of a proof, it must follow a set of rules and logical steps without any errors or contradictions. It is also helpful to have someone else review and critique your proof to identify any potential flaws.

What is the difference between a proof and a theory?

A proof is a logical demonstration of a specific statement or proposition, while a theory is a broad and well-supported explanation for a phenomenon. A proof is used to verify the truth of a claim, while a theory is used to explain why something happens.

Can a proof ever be considered absolute truth?

No, a proof is not absolute truth. It is based on a set of assumptions or axioms, which may change over time as our understanding and knowledge of a subject evolves. However, a proof can be considered a reliable and rigorous demonstration of the truth of a claim within a specific context.

What is the purpose of seeking comments on a proof?

Seeking comments on a proof allows for outside perspectives and critiques that can help improve the accuracy and clarity of the proof. It also allows for collaboration and the potential to discover new insights or approaches to the problem at hand.