Is it Crazy to Start Studying Physics at 36?

In summary, it is not insane for a 36 year old high school graduate to start studying physics out of personal interest. It is important for them to have a solid foundation in math, which can be achieved through self-study and utilizing free resources such as textbooks and online videos. However, it is crucial to also engage in exercises and critical thinking in order to truly understand the material. While online resources can provide a good starting point, they should not be relied on as a primary source for learning physics.
So you think calculus is not required for an undergrad physics degree because there are elementary cases enough to consider? Is this correct?
Depends on the class. Personally, I needed little calculus in quite a few of my physics classes. It seemed like a lot of the time we were just finding ways to avoid having to do calculus.
Also, I would love to see you handle elementary things like "motion with constant acceleration" without calculus. How will you handle it? Just give out the formulas and let them memorize it. I know that happens in algebra-based physics, but it's horrible.
Basically all you are suggesting is that you give out some formulas with essentially no justification and let them memorize it.
I'm not suggesting anything like that for someone who's studying for a degree in physics, or even just someone taking a single physics class as an elective. Getting a degree in physics is a far cry from someone who just wants to learn various physics principles, which is what I'm arguing either doesn't require math, or requires very little. Of course, you could learn the math and get a deeper understanding, but remember, my original point was that you're not excluded from learning physics without math. Everyone seemed to disagree, but no one seemed to want to provide counter-arguments to my arguments.
I wouldn't call calculus esoteric.
It is when you consider all the people who are actually interested in physics to some degree (everyone that I know), in comparison to the people who know calculus (definitely not everyone I know).

Physics news on Phys.org
My first uni physics class didn't require calculus (and barely needed algebra), though the prof didn't mind if people used it to solve problems. From this class, physics split into two streams, one algebra/trig based and the other calculus based. The algebra based one were geared toward arts majors who needed science credits and were interested in physics. The calculus based route led to theoretical physics and was geared towards engineers and science majors. I took both types of classes and found the algebra based classes gave me a more broad understanding of physics and it's history, but didn't really get into anything substantial.