Identifying Mother's Plant: Good Resource to Find Info

• Thread starter wukunlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plants
In summary, my mother has a plant that she forgot the name of. Does anyone know anything about it? Evo found it and it is a begonia.
wukunlin
Gold Member
My mother has a plant that she forgot the name of. Does anyone know anything about it? (or a good place to find info about it)

Attachments

• plantthing.jpg
    plantthing.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
The flowers appear to be Bleeding Heart, but the leaves appear to be cyclamen, could there be 2 plants in the pot?

I am confused, I've grown both.

You must send me the plant, it's so pretty.

Last edited:
Thanks Evo.
Doesn't look like it. The flowers only appear in spring, Right now (autumn in NZ) the flowers are all gone. I can only see one plant in the pot.
If it helps, I took another photo at the stems closer to the soil.

Evo said:
You must send me the plant, it's so pretty.

I would if we don't live on opposite sides of the world lol. We are moving so we are actually looking for new homes for my mother's plants.

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 420
wukunlin said:
Thanks Evo.
Doesn't look like it. The flowers only appear in spring, Right now (autumn in NZ) the flowers are all gone. I can only see one plant in the pot.
If it helps, I took another photo at the stems closer to the soil.

I would if we don't live on opposite sides of the world lol. We are moving so we are actually looking for new homes for my mother's plants.
Bleeding hearts bloom in the spring. But the plant itself looks a lot like a cyclamen.

My second guess, looking closer at the stems is some type of begonia.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/images/begcuc/begcuc-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Evo Thanks! Took me weeks and I couldn't find it XD
6607.gif

Likes 1 person
Awwww, that is sooooo cute!

LOL! Got to love google,
google said:
Did you mean: Begonia hernando rides
Uhm, no google, no I did not.

Evo said:
My second guess, looking closer at the stems is some type of begonia.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/images/begcuc/begcuc-01.jpg
The asymmetric leaves make me think begonia as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Should have asked wukunlin to ship you the plant. Good find.
I've never run across a begonia with flower spikes quite like that, but when I saw the stems, I was positive it was a begonia.

It has been so dry in the southwest that it made me happy just to see some small blossoms on a climbing milkweed.

2mey8sj.jpg

Likes 1 person

1. How do I identify my mother's plant?

There are a few key factors to consider when trying to identify a plant. First, take note of the physical characteristics of the plant such as the shape and color of the leaves, flowers, and stems. Then, use a plant identification guide or app to narrow down the possibilities based on these characteristics. You can also consult with a local botanist or horticulturist for assistance.

2. What are some good resources for identifying my mother's plant?

There are many resources available for identifying plants, such as field guides, online databases, and smartphone apps. Some popular options include the National Audubon Society's Field Guide to North American Wildflowers, the PlantSnap app, and the USDA Plants Database. You can also check with your local garden center or university extension office for more specific resources.

3. What information do I need to provide when trying to identify my mother's plant?

In addition to the physical characteristics of the plant, it can be helpful to provide information about where the plant is located (e.g. in a garden, in the wild, in a certain region), the time of year, and any other relevant details such as if it is a perennial or annual plant. Photos can also be very useful for identification purposes.

4. Are there any common pitfalls when trying to identify a plant?

Yes, some common pitfalls when identifying plants include relying on photos or descriptions alone, not considering the plant's environment or growing conditions, and not using multiple sources for verification. It is also important to keep in mind that some plants can look very similar to each other, so it is best to consult with an expert if you are unsure.

5. Can I use the same method to identify all types of plants?

While some general principles of plant identification can be applied to all types of plants, different types of plants may require different methods. For example, identifying a tree may involve looking at the bark and overall shape, while identifying a flower may require a closer examination of the petals and reproductive structures. It is important to use the appropriate resources and methods for each type of plant.