R^3 and E^3, are they the same?

• Thread starter BHL 20
  • Start date
In summary, the equivalence of R3 and E3, or three-dimensional Euclidean space, is not obvious and requires a proof. However, depending on the definitions used, the result can either be trivial or quite deep. One possible definition of E3 is the geometry defined by the Hilbert axioms, in which case it is possible to prove the equivalence of R3 and E3, but this is nontrivial and can be found in books such as "Geometry: Euclid and Beyond" by Hartshorne.
BHL 20
If you take an ordered field of numbers with the operations of addition and multiplication, endowed with the completeness axiom, represent in as an infinite series of points constituting a line, then put three such lines orthogonal to each other, it does not seem obvious to me that this is the exact three-dimensional space satisfying Euclid's five axioms. Is there a formal proof of the equivalence of these two spaces, and if there is where can I find it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of any differences between R3 and E3. AFAIK, these are just different notations for the same space, so no proof would be needed.

Mark44 said:
I'm not aware of any differences between R3 and E3. AFAIK, these are just different notations for the same space, so no proof would be needed.

So the properties of both R3 and E3 are based on the definition of the real numbers. But we still use the results of Euclidean geometry in these spaces so even if we mean the same thing by these notations we're assuming them to be equivalent to the space defined by Euclid's axioms, so a proof is needed. Unless of course all those results can also be proved in a different way, directly from the properties of the R3 i.e. from the definition of the real numbers. Which is it ?

My understanding is that ##\mathbb{R}^3## is a topological space, whereas ##\mathbb{E}^3## is ##\mathbb{R}^3## with the usual Euclidean metric tensor. That is, ##\mathbb{E}^3## assumes a geometrical structure that ##\mathbb{R}^3## does not.

For example, the hyperbolic plane ##H^3## is ##\mathbb{R}^3## endowed with the metric tensor

[tex]ds^2 = \frac{dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2}{z^2}[/tex]

However, authors are inconsistent about the notation of ##\mathbb{R}^3## vs ##\mathbb{E}^3##.

You can't prove it. You can't even prove that the reals correspond to points on a line. That's an axiom, called either the Cantor Dedekind axiom or the Dedekind Cantor axiom.

There is an ambiguity in "E3". Is it the group E3 or the three dimensional space also known as R3?

Depending on the definitions, the result is either trivial or quite deep. I would define ##\mathbb{R}^3## as the set of 3-tuples of real numbers. This has an obvious geometric structure where you can define lines and planes.

I don't know how you define ##E^3##, since it depends on the author. Now, one possible definition is that this is the geometry defined by the Hilbert axioms: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17384
In that case it is possible to prove ##\mathbb{R}^3 = E^3## but this is nontrivial. The book by Hilbert should contain the result. Otherwise, you should check Hartshorne's "Geometry: Euclid and Beyond", but this is only the 2 dimensional case. You need to do some (not so difficult) adjusting for the 1-dimensional case.

D H said:
You can't prove it. You can't even prove that the reals correspond to points on a line. That's an axiom, called either the Cantor Dedekind axiom or the Dedekind Cantor axiom.

There is an ambiguity in "E3". Is it the group E3 or the three dimensional space also known as R3?
I took the context of the question as meaning three-dimensional Euclidean space. I think I remember seeing E3 notation at one time to represent this space. I couldn't tell you where I saw it, as it was a long time ago.

1. What is R^3 and E^3?

R^3 and E^3 are both mathematical notations used to represent three-dimensional space. R^3 stands for "real three-dimensional space" and E^3 stands for "Euclidean three-dimensional space".

2. Are R^3 and E^3 the same thing?

No, they are not the same. While they both refer to three-dimensional space, they have different mathematical definitions and properties.

3. What is the difference between R^3 and E^3?

The main difference between R^3 and E^3 is their mathematical definitions. R^3 is a vector space with no specific geometric structure, while E^3 is a specific type of three-dimensional space with a defined distance metric and angles.

4. Can R^3 and E^3 be used interchangeably?

No, they cannot. While they both represent three-dimensional space, they have different mathematical properties and cannot be used interchangeably in equations or calculations.

5. Which notation is more commonly used, R^3 or E^3?

R^3 is more commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering, while E^3 is more commonly used in geometry and related fields. Both notations are valid and have their own specific uses.