Solving Projectile Motion: How High Will John's Apple Fly?

• Thread starter cherica48
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving throwing an apple with a certain velocity from a height of 1.3 m and trying to determine if it will reach a friend in a treehouse 5 m above the ground. The person is seeking help and discussing various equations and concepts related to the problem.
cherica48
Help me please I've been stuck on this problem for an hour now...

John throws and apple from a height of 1.3 m with velocity of 2.4 m/s. Will it reach his friend in a treehouse 5 m above the ground?

My book gives the answer "No, it will only reach 1.6 m," but I really want to know how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think you'd need to know the angle of the throw and how far away the friend is, but I'm quite a beginner so I'm not sure.

Consider conservation of energy. Will the apple have enough energy to make it to that height (regardless of the angle it's thrown)?

Whoops, sorry about the homework help violation...in such a rush to figure this out that I didnt see the rule.

I'm pretty sure he wants us to use a Free Fall kinda thing, with an equation like Vf=Vi+2(a)(t), but not all those factors are there. This is basic physics stuff, we're studying like -9.81 acceleration for gravity, and how to find displacement and velocity and all that.

If you threw the apple straight up at that speed, how high would it go?

Doc Al said:
If you threw the apple straight up at that speed, how high would it go?

Well that's what the question is asking, and I assume that's displacement. Displacement in our book is

D= .5(Vi+Vf)t

I have Vi(2.4), and Wf would be 0 once it reached the top, but I don't know t. Am I using the wrong formula here? I have no idea what to do... :frown:

You can find the time using the definition of acceleration:
[tex]v_f = v_i + at[/tex]

1. What is "Help- throwing apples"?

"Help- throwing apples" is the name of a scientific experiment that involves throwing apples at a target to gather data on their trajectory and impact.

2. What is the purpose of the "Help- throwing apples" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the effects of throwing objects on their trajectory and impact, which can have practical applications in fields such as sports and engineering.

3. How is the "Help- throwing apples" experiment conducted?

The experiment involves setting up a target, throwing apples at different angles and from varying distances, and recording data on the apples' trajectory and impact. This data is then analyzed to draw conclusions and make observations.

4. What are the potential risks involved in the "Help- throwing apples" experiment?

The main risk involved in this experiment is the possibility of injury from the apples hitting someone or something, especially if thrown with force. It is important to conduct the experiment in a controlled environment and to take precautions to ensure the safety of all participants.

5. What are the possible applications of the results from the "Help- throwing apples" experiment?

The data and observations gathered from this experiment can be applied in various fields, such as sports training to improve throwing techniques, or in engineering to design more efficient and accurate throwing devices. It can also provide valuable insights into the physics of projectile motion.