Vertical Jump Test and physics Check My Work

In summary, Ok jumped 3 times and got maximum height of 270 cm, maximum jumping height with one hand (best of three) of 270 cm, and net height of 270-221.5 cm or 48.5 cm. My weight is 68 kg and I calculated maximum potential gravitational energy during jump at 323.5 J, work done at 323.5 J, average force required to jump this high if force applied over 0.5 meters is 1294 N, power produced to jump this high is 647 Watts, and vertical velocity half way back to the ground is 161.7 m/s.
Winner
Ok :rofl: ,
I had to test my maximum vertical jump. I did three trials and here's what I got:
-Maximum standing height (ie without jumping reaching with one hand) = 221.5 cm
-Maximum jumping height with one hand (best of three) = 270 cm
-Net Height 270-221.5 cm = 48.5 cm, 0.485m
My weight: 68 kg
And now the physics I had to do:

1)Calculate maximum potential gravitational energy during jump.
So PE=mgh
=(68kg)(9.81)(0.485m)
=323.5 J

2)Calculate work done
W=F x d
= 68kg(9.81)(0.485m)
=323.5 J

3) Calculate the average force required to jump this high if you apply the force over a distance of 0.5 meters. <<<I don't get what this is trying to ask>>>:confused:

4) Calculate power produced to jump this high if force applied for 0.5secs.
P=work/t
=323.5j/0.5 s
=647 Watts

5)Calculate your vertical velocity half way back to the ground.
So that distance is is just half of 48.5 cm?? or 24.25 cm
323.5 J=mgh +1/2mv^2
323.5J= 68(9.81)(0.2425m) +1/2(68kg)v^2
so, 161.7(2)/68kg=v^2
4.76=v^2
**v=2.18 m/s??

6)Calculate your vertical velocity the instant before you land.
So the instand I land is when the h=0.01m or the smallest distance before hitting the ground.
323.5=68(9.81)(0.01m)+1/2(68)v^2
317(2)/68=v^2
9.32=v^2
**v=3.05 m/s?

7) Calculate the average force required to absorb the energy of your landing if you take 0.25 meters to stop.
<<<I also don't get what this one>>>:confused:
Alright thanks guys. :tongue:

Likes Irfan Nafi
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks ok.
In question 6 I think that you can put in 0 for the hight because the want the speed the instant that you hit the ground.
In question 7 you can calculate the average force with the impulse (J = avgF/t). You can get the impulse from the change of momentum. In the end the speed is 0, that's why they asked for the final speed in question 6.

I'm surprised I got most of them lol. You jogged my memory about momentum though. Thanks. Any thoughts on question 3?

Likes Irfan Nafi
Wait, how am I suppose to find t? I know impulse is = Ft=m(v2-v1). I don't have t though to solve for F. I have everything else. :/

Likes Irfan Nafi
The first time I read it I assumed that it meant 0.25 seconds to stop. If it really means that you start stopping whenyour 0.25 meters in the air (though that dosen't really make much sense) then calculate the speed at that position and the time that it takes to fall from there.

I know, it doesn't make any sense, but that's exactly what it says on the worksheet.

I also don't get the wording on this one..

Calculate the average force required to jump this high if you apply the force over a distance of 0.5 meters. ?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Likes Irfan Nafi
I really don't get what this 0.25 meters come into play...I asked my teacher and he keeps telling me, use what info you got and find what you don't know, that's the key. LOL, uh yeah that's great.

Likes Irfan Nafi
Ok, I think I got it?

on the question where it asks:

Calculate the average force required to absorb the energy of your landing if you take 0.25 meters to stop.

Could it really be this simple?

I know my energy for the jump is 323.5J. And to apply such a force to stop at 0.25m, I'd just use the w=fd formula

and so f=323.5J/0.25m, f=1294N?
//////

Same to this question:

Calculate the average force required to jump this high if you apply the force over a distance of 0.5 meters.

W=fd
f=323.5J/0.5m
f=647N.

OR am I totally wrong and it has to do something with Ft=m(v2-v1)?

Likes Irfan Nafi
The other case...

Calculate the average force required to absorb the energy of your landing if you take 0.25 meters to stop.

F=m(v2-v1)/t
=68(0-3.05m/s)/t
=68(3.05m/s)/0.082
=2529N?

t=d/v
t=0.25/3.05
t=0.082

Likes Irfan Nafi
Anybody? it's due tomorrow, really need some advice. Thanks.

Likes Irfan Nafi

1. What is the purpose of the Vertical Jump Test?

The Vertical Jump Test is used to measure an individual's explosive leg power and overall lower body strength. It is commonly used in sports and fitness training to assess an athlete's ability to jump and reach high heights.

2. How is the Vertical Jump Test performed?

The Vertical Jump Test involves jumping as high as possible from a standing position. The individual stands against a wall or a measuring device, reaches up as high as they can with one hand, and then jumps and touches the highest possible point with the same hand. The difference between the standing reach height and the jump height is then measured to determine the vertical jump height.

3. What factors affect an individual's vertical jump height?

Several factors can affect an individual's vertical jump height, including their leg strength, body composition, muscle fiber type, and technique. Other factors such as age, gender, and genetics may also play a role in an individual's vertical jump performance.

4. How does physics play a role in the Vertical Jump Test?

Physics plays a significant role in the Vertical Jump Test. The force generated by an individual's leg muscles is what propels them upwards, overcoming the force of gravity. The mechanics of the jump, such as the angle of takeoff and the use of arm swing, also affect the height achieved.

5. Are there any alternative methods for measuring lower body strength besides the Vertical Jump Test?

Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring lower body strength, such as the Standing Long Jump and the Squat Jump. These tests also assess an individual's explosive leg power but may have different requirements and limitations compared to the Vertical Jump Test.