Draw Minkowski Diagram: x-axis 0-5m, ct-axis 0-5m

In summary, SN1987a's analysis showed that ct'-axis is the time axis and x'-axis is the space axis. Gamma is the function that calculates the change in ct from one frame to another. To calibrate the axes, find the delta x' and delta ct' for a ct interval of 1.
Pixter
draw a minkowski space-time diagram for s and s' showing x- and ctaxis as well ass the x'- and ct'-axis. the x-axis and ct axis will span from 0-5m. everwhere x'-axis ct'=0 and likewise for ct'-axis x'=0. [(v=0.6c)(t=t'=0, x=x'=0)]

so any way I start out with drawing ct and x. like a normal x&y diagram.

Then i have the formulas x'=gamma(x-vt)
t'=gamma(t-(vx/c^2))

gamma= yeah you know. =)

oki so i can get ct' by using the formula tan(theta) = c/v

then i can get x' by taking 45(angle for c)-[(tan^-1(c/v))-45(angle for c)]

okey i done that. now i have to calibrate the x'- and ct'-axis by using the relations x^2 - (ct)^2 = 1..

now how do I do that? and did I do it correctly in the first part?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you did part 1 correctly. Not too sure about how you calculated the angle for x', but it should be the same(from the x axis) as the angle for ct' (from the ct axis), and this one you got alright.

As for the calibration, you can do it using the lorentz transforms, which also work with intervals
[tex] \Delta x'=\gamma(\Delta x-v \Delta t)[/tex]

But to calibrate the x' axis, find [itex]\Delta x' [/itex] for [itex] \Delta t=0[/itex].

By a similar reasoning, you can find [itex] \Delta ct'[/itex] for a ct interval of 1 in the stationary frame.

You can of course also use the invariant. [itex] \Delta x^2- \Delta ct^2=1[/itex] describes a hyperbola on the minkowski diagram, and this value is the same in all frames of reference, so you can just "read" off any axis.

Attachments

• minkowski.jpg
    minkowski.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Pixter said:
draw a minkowski space-time diagram for s and s' showing x- and ctaxis as well ass the x'- and ct'-axis. the x-axis and ct axis will span from 0-5m. everwhere x'-axis ct'=0 and likewise for ct'-axis x'=0. [(v=0.6c)(t=t'=0, x=x'=0)]
so any way I start out with drawing ct and x. like a normal x&y diagram.
Then i have the formulas x'=gamma(x-vt)
t'=gamma(t-(vx/c^2))
gamma= yeah you know. =)
oki so i can get ct' by using the formula tan(theta) = c/v
then i can get x' by taking 45(angle for c)-[(tan^-1(c/v))-45(angle for c)]
okey i done that. now i have to calibrate the x'- and ct'-axis by using the relations x^2 - (ct)^2 = 1..
now how do I do that? and did I do it correctly in the first part?
Great question... about calibrating the primed-axes. [What text are you using? If solutions are later given, I'd be curious to know how it was solved.]

As SN1987a said, you could use the Lorentz transformations explicitly or recognize that x^2 - (ct)^2 = 1 is a hyperbola.
There is a conceptually simpler construction using triangles of equal area with sides parallel to the light cone. (This has connections to the Bondi k-calculus and the Lorentz transformations in light-cone coordinates.)

See these references:
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0407022 Brill and Jacobson
http://www.aip.de/~lie/GEOMETRIE/GeomZeit.html Liebscher
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0411069 Mermin
http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/~cew2/P209/P209_home.html Mermin notes
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0505134 mine

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Minkowski Diagram?

A Minkowski Diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time in a special relativity framework. It is used to visualize the effects of time dilation and length contraction on objects in motion.

2. How is a Minkowski Diagram constructed?

A Minkowski Diagram is constructed by plotting the x-axis, which represents the spatial dimension, and the ct-axis, which represents the time dimension. The scale of the axes can vary, but they are typically equal in length to represent the speed of light.

3. What does the x-axis represent in a Minkowski Diagram?

The x-axis in a Minkowski Diagram represents the spatial dimension, specifically the distance an object travels. In this case, it ranges from 0 to 5 meters.

4. What does the ct-axis represent in a Minkowski Diagram?

The ct-axis in a Minkowski Diagram represents the time dimension, specifically the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance at the speed of light. In this case, it also ranges from 0 to 5 meters.

5. How is a Minkowski Diagram used in special relativity?

A Minkowski Diagram is used in special relativity to visualize the effects of time dilation and length contraction on objects in motion. It can also be used to determine the relationship between the space and time coordinates of events in different reference frames.