Calculating Block's Max Height from Impulse/Velocity

In summary, the question asked for the maximum height of a block after being shot by a bullet. Using the equation for impulse and calculating the final velocity of the block, the maximum height was found to be 7.3cm.
joex444
I found this to be the hardest question on my last test:

A 5kg block is resting on two tables such that the middle isn't resting on a part of a table. A 10g bullet is fired at 1000m/s from directly below the block perpendicular. The bullet exits the block going 400m/s. What was the maximum height of the block?

Here's what I did, the impulse was the change in momentum of the bullet, which would be .01kg(1000m/s)-.01(400m/s) = 6kgm/s. That impulse must have been imparted on the block, which would give it a final velocity of 1.2m/s (6kgm/s / 5kg). From there, y = [(v2^2 - v1^2)/-2a] letting a = -g = -9.8 and v2 = 0, v1 = 1.2, and I got 0.073m = 7.3cm.

Did I go about this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Yes, your approach to solving this problem is correct. To find the maximum height of the block, you used the equation y = [(v2^2 - v1^2)/-2a], which is the formula for calculating the displacement of an object under constant acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is due to gravity with a value of -9.8m/s^2. The initial velocity of the block was 1.2m/s, and since it comes to a stop at the maximum height, the final velocity is 0m/s. Plugging in these values, you correctly calculated the maximum height to be 0.073m or 7.3cm. Great job!

1. How do you calculate a block's maximum height from its impulse and velocity?

The formula for calculating a block's maximum height from its impulse and velocity is:
h = (v^2)/(2g) + I/g
Where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and I is the impulse.

2. What is the role of impulse in calculating a block's maximum height?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object and is necessary in calculating a block's maximum height because it is a measure of the force applied to the object over a period of time. In this formula, the impulse is used to determine how much the velocity changes over time, which affects the block's maximum height.

3. Can you use this formula for any object or only for blocks?

This formula can be used for any object, as long as the initial velocity and impulse are known. However, it is most commonly used for objects falling from a certain height or being launched into the air, such as blocks or projectiles.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculation of a block's maximum height?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of a block's maximum height by slowing down its velocity and reducing the overall impulse applied to the object. This can result in a lower maximum height than what is calculated using the formula, as air resistance is not accounted for in the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating a block's maximum height from impulse and velocity?

This formula has many practical applications, such as determining the maximum height a ball can reach when thrown or kicked, calculating the height of a roller coaster's peak, or finding the maximum height of a rocket during its launch. It is also used in sports, such as long jump and high jump, to determine the maximum height an athlete can reach.