Find Change in Momentum: 2.00kg Object, 25 m/s, 30° Angle

• Thread starter amcavoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves a 2.00-kg object with speed of 25.0 m/s striking a frictionless steel plate at an angle of 30.0o and rebounding at 25.0o. The initial and final momenta were found to be \left(50\cos{30^o},-50\sin{30^o}\right) and \left(50\cos{25^o},50\sin{25^o}\right) respectively. The vector change in momentum was calculated by subtracting these momenta, but the answer was incorrect. After some discussion and calculations, it was determined that the final speed was not equal to the initial speed due to the steel surface
amcavoy
A 2.00-kg object with speed of 25.0 m/s strikes a frictionless steel plate at an angle of 30.0o and rebounds at 25.0o. Find the vector change in momentum pf-pi.
Here is a link to the image: http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/2681/171812nv.gif

I found the initial momentum to be [itex]\left(50\cos{30^o},-50\sin{30^o}\right)[/itex] and the final momentum to be [itex]\left(50\cos{25^o},50\sin{25^o}\right)[/itex]. To find the change, I just subtracted these, but the answer is incorrect. Note: The method I used to find the initial and final vectors was to multiply the magnitude of the velocity by sine and cosine respectively, and then by 2 (the mass).

Can someone give me a hint as to where I went wrong?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What values did you get when you subtracted these momenta?

(Did you subtract the negative)

Yes, I did. This is what I came up with (rounded off):

[tex]\Delta\vec{p}=\left<2.01,46.1\right>\text{N}-\text{s}[/tex]

...I hope it's just an arithmetic error. Please let me know what you think if you get a chance.

Thanks again! :smile:

∆px = px`-px = 50cos25[E]-50cos30[E] ≈ 2.014[E]

∆py = py`-py = 50sin25[N]-50sin30 = 50sin25+50sin30[N] ≈ 46.131 [N]

Now you know the horizontal and verticial components of the impulse, but you need to add the vectors together to find the total impulse. Drawing these 2 vectors will form a right triangle in which you can use pythagorean theorem to find the total impulse.

Last edited:
I need to find the vector change though, not the magnitude.

You mean the horizontal and vertical changes in momentum? Your answer looks correct then. What answer does your book give?

Erwin Schrodinger said:
You mean the horizontal and vertical changes in momentum? Your answer looks correct then. What answer does your book give?
I don't have an answer for it, but it does give me a hint. It says that the impulse delivered to the mass by the plate only has a y-component. Does this mean I can get rid of my x component and use the y? For this problem, does that hint mean I would use (0,46.1) instead of (2.01,46.1)?

Thanks again.

Hmm, that's strange. If ∆px = 0, then px` = px but that clearly isn't the case here since the angle of incidence and the angle of deflection are not equal. I don't see how they can make that claim. I'm just as stumped as you are now. :yuck:

Hmm... I found the answer, which is the one I suggested above (0,46.1). I find that strange as well, but I guess I'll just have to work with some similar problems.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Dang! I was just coming back to this to point out that the frictionless steel surface could not have changed the x-momentum of the ball.

Therefore, the final speed could not be 50 m/s because 50 cos30 has to equal 2*v'*cos 25. From this you find v'.

Oh okay, I see the problem we both made here. We assumed that the final velocity of the ball was equal to the inital velocity but the question didn't state that. Tricky...

1. What is the formula for calculating change in momentum?

The formula for calculating change in momentum is m x Δv, where m is the mass of the object and Δv is the change in velocity.

2. How do you calculate the mass of the object in this scenario?

The mass of the object can be found by dividing the change in momentum by the change in velocity. In this scenario, the mass would be 2.00kg.

3. What does a 30° angle represent in this context?

The 30° angle represents the direction of the object's velocity. In this case, the object is moving at a 30° angle from its initial position.

4. How do you find the change in velocity in this scenario?

The change in velocity can be found using trigonometry. The horizontal component of the velocity is 25 m/s and the vertical component can be found using the sine of 30°, which is approximately 12.5 m/s. The change in velocity would be the square root of (25^2 + 12.5^2), which is approximately 28.9 m/s.

5. What is the significance of calculating change in momentum?

Calculating change in momentum is important in understanding the effect of forces on an object. It helps determine how much the object's motion has been altered and can be used to predict future motion.