Calculating Induced Current in Coaxial Solenoid-Wire System

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a solenoid with a current running through it and a wire that surrounds it. The wire makes two loops and has a given resistance. The question is asking for the current in the wire and the person is wondering how the two loops affect the induced current. The equation for induced current in a wire wrapped n times around a magnetic field is provided. The person then asks for clarification on the notation used in the equation.
blur13
I'm working on a question that I could use some help on. The problem basically says there is a solenoid with a current running through it given by an equation. There is a wire that is coaxial with and surrounding the solenoid, and the wire makes two loops around the solenoid. A resistance for the wire is also given. The question wants to know what the current in the wire is. Now, I know that if the wire was only looping around the solenoid once, I could just use faraday's law to calculate the induced emf, and then use I=[tex]\xi[/tex]/R. What I can't figure out is how does the fact that there are two loops in the wire affect the induced current? Thanks for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for induced current if the wire is wrapped n times around the magnetic field is:
[tex] I = \frac{\xi}{R} = \frac{n \dot{\phi_{t}}}{R} [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm just a tad confused about your notation. Are you saying that in this case I = 2[tex]\xi[/tex]/R? Or that if the emf is known, then it is always simply I=[tex]\xi[/tex]/R?

Edit: Oh, ok. I didn't see your edit there. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "induced current"?

Induced current refers to the flow of electric charge in a conductor that is caused by a changing magnetic field. This change in magnetic field can be induced by a varying current or by moving a magnet near the conductor.

2. How is induced current different from regular current?

The main difference between induced current and regular current is the source of the electric charge. Regular current is generated by a direct source, such as a battery, while induced current is generated by a changing magnetic field.

3. What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor, which will cause an induced current to flow. This law is essential in understanding the concept of induced current.

4. How can induced current be useful?

Induced current has many practical applications, such as in generators and transformers, which are used to generate and transmit electricity. It is also used in devices such as induction cooktops, which use induced currents to heat up cookware.

5. Is induced current harmful?

The effects of induced current on living organisms depend on the strength and duration of the current. In small amounts, it is not harmful, but high levels of induced current can cause electric shock or burns. It is important to understand and properly handle induced currents to prevent any potential harm.