Uniform Circular Motion with friction

The only forces acting on the car in the circle are the normal force and the frictional force. Set up the equation: In summary, the maximum safe speed for a car driving around a horizontal curve with a frictional coefficient of 0.58 and a radius of 125m can be calculated using the equation Fc=Ff-Fg, where Fc is the centripetal force, Ff is the frictional force, and Fg is the force of gravity. The normal force and the frictional force are the only forces acting on the car in the circle.
serrino
A car drives around a horizontal curve with a frictional coefficient of 0.58. What is the maximum safe speed for the carif the radius of the turn is 125m?

r= 125m
uk= 0.58
v=?

ok I set up the problem as
Fc=Ff-Fg

m (v2/r)=ukFn-(m)(g)

so the masses would cancel, but I'm stuck and nopt sure if I set it up right.

If you anyone could give me a little help it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are making the equation too complex. Think about what force(s) are keeping the car in the circle and write another equation.

serrino said:
ok I set up the problem as
Fc=Ff-Fg
The force of gravity acts downward, not centripetally.

1. What is uniform circular motion with friction?

Uniform circular motion with friction refers to the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed, while also experiencing the force of friction. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects moving in a curved path, such as a car turning a corner or a roller coaster on a loop.

2. How does friction affect uniform circular motion?

Friction acts as a force that opposes the motion of an object, causing it to slow down. In the case of uniform circular motion, friction can cause the object to deviate from its circular path and eventually come to a stop. This is because the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, gradually reducing its speed and changing its direction.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in uniform circular motion?

The amount of friction in uniform circular motion can be affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surface, the weight or mass of the object, and the speed at which the object is moving. Generally, a smoother surface, lighter object, and lower speed will result in less friction and a more stable circular motion.

4. How is centripetal force related to uniform circular motion with friction?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion with friction, the force of friction acts as a type of centripetal force, constantly pulling the object towards the center of the circle and keeping it on its circular path. Without this force, the object would continue moving in a straight line tangent to the circle.

5. Can uniform circular motion with friction be considered a type of projectile motion?

No, uniform circular motion with friction is not considered a type of projectile motion. While both involve motion in a curved path, projectile motion refers specifically to the motion of an object launched into the air and affected only by the force of gravity. Uniform circular motion with friction, on the other hand, involves an object moving in a circular path on a surface and experiencing the force of friction.