First Unread Post? Forum Feature Help

• Thread starter Secretblend
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks. I finally now can see it. It is very well hidden in plain sight! Now I know where to click for new posts. I appreciate it!
Secretblend
If this has been asked, I apologize for starting a new thread. Mods are welcomed to move or whatever needs to be done.

The question I have is for new posts. Is there a way to click a "first unread post" in a thread I go to? This forum is very similar to other forum that I use and on that one they have that feature. I was wondering if I was missing it or is it not available? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is, or was, but we JUST upgraded to a new version of the software today, so things aren't all back where they're supposed to be yet, and we have to figure out what features were gained and lost along the way. Give us a little time to figure out the correct answer to your question.

Moonbear said:
I think there is, or was, but we JUST upgraded to a new version of the software today, so things aren't all back where they're supposed to be yet, and we have to figure out what features were gained and lost along the way. Give us a little time to figure out the correct answer to your question.

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the upgrade and wanted to note that it wasn't there before the upgrade either.

Its working the same for me Moonie as it was before. If there is a thread that has new posts since the last time you viewed it will display in bold with a triangle of squares to the left. The squares take you to the first unread post.

Kurdt said:
Its working the same for me Moonie as it was before. If there is a thread that has new posts since the last time you viewed it will display in bold with a triangle of squares to the left. The squares take you to the first unread post.

Thanks. I finally now can see it. It is very well hidden in plain sight! Now I know where to click for new posts. I appreciate it!

1. What is the "First Unread Post" feature on forums?

The "First Unread Post" feature on forums allows users to quickly jump to the first unread post in a thread. This is especially useful for longer threads where the user may not have read all the way through yet.

2. How does the "First Unread Post" feature work?

The feature works by tracking the last read post of a user in a specific thread. When the user returns to that thread, the feature will automatically take them to the first unread post since their last visit.

3. Can the "First Unread Post" feature be disabled?

Yes, the feature can be disabled by the forum administrator. However, it is a useful feature for users and is usually enabled by default.

4. Is the "First Unread Post" feature available on all forums?

No, the feature may not be available on all forums as it depends on the forum software being used. Some forums may have similar features with different names, such as "View first unread post" or "Jump to new post."

5. Can the "First Unread Post" feature be used on mobile devices?

Yes, the feature can usually be used on mobile devices as long as the forum is optimized for mobile use. Some forums may have a different layout on mobile, but the feature should still be accessible.