Magnetic Flux analysis in transformer design.

In summary, the graphs show that the flux in the airgap is not consistent with the flux in the transformer core.
JJ91
Hello everyone,

I'm currently at third year of EPE and this software is totally new for me so i would to ask a few questions.

I have been asked to use infolytica MagNet using Field Sampler tool to analyse a flux behavior in the air-gaps and in the transformer core for 2 different core materials, 2 different coil materials and 5 different current ratings (2,4,6,8,10 amps).

The design shows as follows:
zyecf4.jpg

I've got most of my graphs and its now coming to write conclusion but there is 1 graph where I think something went wrong:
(the graphs represent the flux in the airgap or the 'c' point from the above diagram measured from TOP to bottom)
35jf2bp.jpg

AGmid - Airgap in the middle of the core (between secondary winding)
ALU - aluminium (coil material)
COP - copper (coil material)
MU3 - Core material (lower than CR10)
CR10 - Core material (higher permeability than MU3)

http://www.2shared.com/file/WrczYYFS/Correct_Reults.html"
The air-gap in the middle of the transformer core and the B_x line is straight where I'm afraid it shouldn't be.

1. So I would to ask what went wrong and where should I look for mistake ?

2. Why there is a difference of direction between MU3 and CR10 from the above graphs ?

3. What else can I say from the graphs apart what is the strength, leakage, direction and magnitude of the flux in specific area ?

I'm asking here because report is due to in Monday,

Thanks a lot for any additional information

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to give us more information. The corners at "c" are very likely to saturate first, much sooner than the center of the air gap. The air gap (20 mm) will have a significant effect on the inductance because the outside path length (each side) is only about 1400 mm.

So, what are the units of the vertical scale in the plots? They are too low to be magnetic field (in Tesla). And what are the horizontal units (where measured)? And what do the different colors in the plots represent, different amp-turns total or amps per turn? Is the transformer secondary open, or connected to a load? Aluminum will have a greater I2R loss than copper for the same cross section.

1. What is Magnetic Flux analysis in transformer design?

Magnetic Flux analysis is a process used in transformer design to determine the distribution of magnetic flux within the transformer's core. It helps engineers optimize the design to minimize energy losses and maximize efficiency.

2. Why is Magnetic Flux analysis important in transformer design?

Magnetic Flux analysis is important because it allows engineers to accurately predict the performance of a transformer. By understanding the distribution of magnetic flux, engineers can make informed decisions about the size and materials used in the transformer, resulting in a more efficient and reliable design.

3. How is Magnetic Flux analysis performed in transformer design?

Magnetic Flux analysis is typically performed using computer simulations and mathematical models. The transformer's geometry and materials are input into a software program, which then calculates the distribution of magnetic flux and other important parameters.

4. What are the benefits of using Magnetic Flux analysis in transformer design?

The benefits of Magnetic Flux analysis include improved efficiency, reduced energy losses, and increased reliability of the transformer. It also allows for faster and more cost-effective design iterations, resulting in shorter development times.

5. Are there any limitations to Magnetic Flux analysis in transformer design?

While Magnetic Flux analysis is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. The accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input data, and it may not account for certain physical phenomena that can affect transformer performance, such as thermal effects. It should be used in conjunction with other design methods for optimal results.