Dynamics: Finding force exerted on a box traveling down a slope

In summary, the problem involves a 300-g pellet sliding with friction along a declining slope and a flat surface. The force exerted on the pellet by the surface is to be determined just before reaching B and immediately after passing through B. The equations used include potential energy, kinetic energy, and energy from friction. The final solution involves solving for the friction force, which is given as 2.55N.
jaredogden

Homework Statement

This is problem 13.70 from Beer and Johnston Vector Mechanics 9th ed.

A 300-g pellet is released from rest at A and slides with friction
along the surface shown. Determine the force exerted on the pellet
by the surface (a) just before the pellet reaches B, (b) immediately
after it has passed through B.

The drawing shows a pellet A on a declining slope, distance 1.2 m to B which is almost at the bottom of the slope. C is a flat surface. The radius of curvature between B and C is 0.8 m and the angle between them is 30°

Homework Equations

PE = mgz
KE = 1/2mv2
Fr = muk*N
Energy from Fr = FrΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the pellet is at rest KEA = 0J, however PEA = (.3kg)(9.81m/s2)(1.2sin(30°))
(The angle between the horizontal and the 1.2m hypotenuse isn't given, but I just found it using opposite interior angles.)

so PEA = 1.7658 J

At B we will have KE and PE. Assuming C is at z = 0m we can use the radius of curvature and angle given to find zb

zB = 0.8 m - 0.8 m * cos(30°)
zB = 0.10718 m

so PEB = (.3kg)(9.81m/s2)(0.10718 m)
PEB = 0.31543 J

KEB = 1/2(.3 kg)vB2

Plugging all of this into the law of conservation of energy where EA = EB

1.7658 J = 0.31543 J + (1/2)(.3 kg)vB2
vB = 3.109 m/s

I got hung up here because I think that the work due to the frictional force should be subtracted from KEB + PEB in order to get the correct velocity the pellet would be traveling at. However, there is no coefficient of friction given in the problem.

I feel like I'm just missing something small here and my brain is just dead..

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you sketch this?

It is problem 13.70

Attachments

• Vector Mechanics Dynamics.pdf
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,050
From my reading of the problem, you're supposed to solve for the friction force on the block at the given points.

Our teacher just posted an announcement that the problem should be a pellet sliding without friction.

The answer is 2.55N, I'm just unsure how to get here..

1. What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that cause that motion.

2. How do you find the force exerted on a box traveling down a slope?

To find the force exerted on a box traveling down a slope, you will need to use the formula F = m*a, where F is the force exerted, m is the mass of the box, and a is the acceleration down the slope. You will also need to consider the effects of friction and gravity.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest on a surface, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object sliding on a surface. In the case of a box traveling down a slope, static friction would be present when the box is at rest, and kinetic friction would be present once the box starts sliding down the slope.

4. How does the angle of the slope affect the force exerted on the box?

The steeper the slope, the greater the force exerted on the box. This is because the steeper angle increases the acceleration of the box, which in turn increases the force required to move the box down the slope.

5. What factors can affect the force exerted on the box?

The force exerted on the box can be affected by the mass of the box, the angle of the slope, the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or a person pushing the box. Additionally, changes in these factors can also affect the force exerted on the box.