Solving Dynamics Problem: Inertia at Work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dynamics in relation to an elevator and its acceleration. The first part of the conversation talks about how the acceleration of an elevator affects the weight of a person inside, and how the scale readings are affected. The second part delves into the explanation of gravity and its relationship to acceleration. The third part discusses the scenario of an elevator cable breaking and how it would result in weightlessness for the occupants. Lastly, there is a brief discussion about the finer details of weightlessness in relation to Newtonian physics.
Bashyboy
I am reading about dynamics, and I am looking at this example problem (it is attached as a file).

So, first I am imagining the elevator without the assisted downward acceleration. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity on the woman and the normal force provided by the scale cancel each other out. Now, as the elevator starts to accelerate downwards, the woman experiences her own inertia by the weightlessness, and the downward acceleration of the elevator can be thought to become the "new" or "pseudo" acceleration due to gravity. The scale reads her as being lighter because this "pseudo" acceleration due to gravity is weaker than the true acceleration due to gravity. Is this erroneous thinking? If not, could someone perhaps supply more elaboration--or clarity, if it not worded exactly eloquently--on this thought process?

Thank you

Attachments

• physics forums 1.JPG
    physics forums 1.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, in fact, gravity itself does not accelerate. This sounds ridiculous, but it's the basis of General Relativity.

Basically, an object in freefall is equivalent to an object under no acceleration, there is no way for an observer in an elevator-like box drifting through space to tell if they're in an actual elevator in freefall.

Um. You probably didn't feel like an explanation of General Relativity. So if that's too much for you, remember that scales measure the NORMAL force and draw a free-body diagram for all the forces, after knowing the woman's acceleration. That should clear some stuff up.

On a website, I am reading more about this elevator physics. In the first paragraph, the author states that, "If the elevator cable broke, you would feel weightless since both you and the elevator would be accelerating downward at the same rate." Is this because the elevator would not be able to provide the normal force to push upwards on someone in an elevator under these circumstances?

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Is this because the elevator would not be able to provide the normal force to push upwards on someone in an elevator under these circumstances?
Exactly.

Sorry for the stream of questions. So, the reason why a scale reads heavier than normal on a elevator accelerating upwards is because, since the elevator is accelerating, the scale must be accelerating, and I must be accelerating; but in order for an elevator to accelerate upwards, it has to exert a force greater than my weight, result in the scale having to exert a greater force than my weight and, therefore, reading a greater normal force. Is that right?

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Sorry for the stream of questions. So, the reason why a scale reads heavier than normal on a elevator accelerating upwards is because, since the elevator is accelerating, the scale must be accelerating, and I must be accelerating; but in order for an elevator to accelerate upwards, it has to exert a force greater than my weight, result in the scale having to exert a greater force than my weight and, therefore, reading a greater normal force. Is that right?

Yep.

Doc Al said:
Exactly.

Sorry, just feel like pointing this out. From a beginner's point of view, yes. But technically, the falling person truly is weightless. Sorry, love pointing out the finer errors in stuff.

Whovian said:
But technically, the falling person truly is weightless.
Not in the Newtonian world, which is the context of the question.

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does inertia affect dynamics problems?

Inertia plays a major role in dynamics problems because it is one of the fundamental principles of motion. The amount of inertia an object has is directly related to its mass, and the greater the mass, the greater the inertia. This means that objects with more mass require more force to move or change their motion.

3. What is the equation for calculating inertia?

The equation for calculating inertia is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance of the object from the axis of rotation. This equation is used for calculating the rotational inertia of an object.

4. How is inertia related to Newton's first law of motion?

Newtons's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is directly related to inertia because inertia is the property that causes objects to resist changes in their state of motion.

5. How can inertia be useful in solving dynamics problems?

Inertia can be useful in solving dynamics problems because it allows us to predict how objects will behave when acted upon by external forces. By understanding the relationship between an object's mass and its inertia, we can accurately calculate the forces required to move or change the motion of an object.