Register to reply

Calculate the gap distance between two electrodes

Share this thread:
bhavu21fri
Dec23-13, 12:52 AM
P: 5
Hello Friends

How to calculate the minimum GAP distance between two electrodes?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules
CU-Boulder leads international unmanned aircraft testing event at Pawnee Grassland
Gesture-controlled, autonomous vehicles may be valuable helpers in logistics and trans-shipment centers
Simon Bridge
Dec23-13, 01:04 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,794
Easy, the minimum gap size between electrodes, from the information supplied, is zero.
If that is not what you want, you will have to provide more information - but usually you want the smallest gap without getting a spark ... which depends on the material separating, and the potential difference between, them.
iirc The shape of the electrodes can matter too.
bhavu21fri
Dec23-13, 01:29 AM
P: 5
Thanks

you are right sir the smallest gap without getting a spark. the material is copper & Silver Rivet but the material is same for both side.

I am working on Power Relay.. in that NO & NC Both Connection. when NO Is open that time NC is close but i have to make safe distance for NC for sparking...problem

I am not getting the meaning of iirc The shape. but in my rivet one with flat surface and another has a little curve.

berkeman
Dec23-13, 11:41 AM
Mentor
P: 40,967
Calculate the gap distance between two electrodes

Quote Quote by bhavu21fri View Post
Hello Friends

How to calculate the minimum GAP distance between two electrodes?
Quote Quote by bhavu21fri View Post
Thanks

you are right sir the smallest gap without getting a spark. the material is copper & Silver Rivet but the material is same for both side.

I am working on Power Relay.. in that NO & NC Both Connection. when NO Is open that time NC is close but i have to make safe distance for NC for sparking...problem

I am not getting the meaning of iirc The shape. but in my rivet one with flat surface and another has a little curve.
Look up "Paschen Curves"
Simon Bridge
Dec23-13, 06:01 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,794
What he said.... and Merry Xmas.

Register to reply