Register to reply

Pre-calculus 12

by Martin Zhao
Tags: precalculus
Share this thread:
Martin Zhao
Mar31-14, 07:51 AM
P: 8
For pre-calculus 12, is there a need for students to master the ability of graphing quartic or quintic functions without using graphing calculator?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
Mark44
Mar31-14, 11:07 AM
Mentor
P: 21,272
Quote Quote by Martin Zhao View Post
For pre-calculus 12, is there a need for students to master the ability of graphing quartic or quintic functions without using graphing calculator?
I think it depends on how the functions are presented and how complicated they are. If they are given in factored form, then it's useful to be able to graph them. If they are not given in factored form it would be difficult or even impossible (in the case of some 5th degree polynomials) to find the exact values of the x-intercepts.
Martin Zhao
Apr6-14, 05:12 AM
P: 8
For the senior high students, do you suggest them getting a graphing calculator in class?

micromass
Apr6-14, 05:55 AM
Mentor
P: 18,248
Pre-calculus 12

Quote Quote by Martin Zhao View Post
For the senior high students, do you suggest them getting a graphing calculator in class?
I have never used a graphing calculator in my life and I never needed it. So unless your teacher specifically told you that you need one for class, I wouldn't bother.

Register to reply