Recrystallizing but not getting any crystals

• Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crystals
In summary: Additionally, if you keep evaporating off solvent until nothing's left (or very little is left), you might want to check the purity of your final product (crystals/oil) to ensure it's what you're looking for.
JG89
I am trying to recrystallizing lidocaine out of methanol. I created a saturated solution of lidocaine and hot methanol, waited for it to cool to room temperature, then threw it in a cool water bath. There was no recrystallization. I decided to evaporate the methanol to recover my lidocaine and start over again, but after evaporating the lidocaine in a hot water bath, I was left with a transparent gooey substance in my beaker. Usually when I dissolve something into a solvent and evaporate off that solvent, crystals will form (even though they may not be pure). What happened here? And how can I recover my lidocaine?

EDIT: Just to be clear, this is lidocaine HCl.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
JG89 said:
I am trying to recrystallizing lidocaine out of methanol. I created a saturated solution of lidocaine and hot methanol, waited for it to cool to room temperature, then threw it in a cool water bath. There was no recrystallization. I decided to evaporate the methanol to recover my lidocaine and start over again, but after evaporating the lidocaine in a hot water bath, I was left with a transparent gooey substance in my beaker. Usually when I dissolve something into a solvent and evaporate off that solvent, crystals will form (even though they may not be pure). What happened here? And how can I recover my lidocaine?

EDIT: Just to be clear, this is lidocaine HCl.

Getting an oil instead of crystals is very common, especially on rapid evaporation.
Are you sure your solution was supersaturated? Sometimes you have to wait for days until crystals form, so you could leave your solution for some time in the fridge and see what happens. You could also add a small amount of crude lidocaine to your solution to act as a seed.

Another thing to check out is that certain salts of organic compounds are not always the easiest to prepare and subsequently purify, for any number of reasons. If you just need a pure lidocaine salt, you might want to switch it up and make your life easier if the hydrochloride salt continues to be ill-behaved.

I presume you checked the suitability of various solvents/solvent mixtures for recrystallizing lidocaine - if you haven't, that's something that should be done as well.

1. Why am I not getting any crystals after recrystallizing?

There could be several reasons for not getting any crystals after recrystallization. One possibility is that the solubility of the compound is too high, meaning it is not able to form a solid crystal structure. Another possibility is that the solution was not saturated enough, or that the solvent used was not appropriate for the compound. It is also possible that the solution was not cooled slowly enough, or that there was contamination in the solution.

2. How can I increase my chances of getting crystals during recrystallization?

To increase the chances of getting crystals during recrystallization, it is important to choose a solvent that is appropriate for the compound being recrystallized. Additionally, the solution should be cooled slowly and stirred continuously to promote crystal formation. The use of a seed crystal can also help initiate crystal growth. Finally, it is important to ensure the solution is saturated and free from contamination.

3. Can I reuse the solvent after unsuccessful recrystallization?

Yes, the solvent used in an unsuccessful recrystallization can be reused. However, it is important to filter the solvent before using it again to remove any impurities or contaminants that may have contributed to the lack of crystal formation. Additionally, the solvent should be checked for its ability to dissolve the compound before reusing it.

4. What should I do if my recrystallization results in fine powder instead of crystals?

If your recrystallization results in a fine powder instead of crystals, it could be due to several reasons. It is possible that the solvent used was not appropriate for the compound, or that the solution was cooled too quickly. It could also be due to the presence of impurities or contamination in the solution. To try and obtain crystals, you can try filtering the solution and repeating the recrystallization process using a different solvent or by cooling the solution more slowly.

5. How can I determine the purity of my crystals after recrystallization?

The purity of crystals after recrystallization can be determined through various techniques such as melting point analysis, thin layer chromatography, or spectroscopic methods. These methods can help identify impurities and determine the overall purity of the crystals. It is important to compare the results to known data for the compound to determine the level of purity achieved through recrystallization.