Short Circuit: What Happens and What Operates It

In summary, a short circuit occurs when there is very little or no resistance across a circuit resulting in a very large current generated. This is why we have fuses and circuit breakers. A short circuit generally means that current is going somewhere it is not supposed to go.
observer20
what is short circuit and wat happens to different circuits when it occurs.wat operates it .

Engineering news on Phys.org
To the best of my knowledge, a short circuit occurs when there is very little or no resistance across a circuit resulting in a very large current generated.

Correct me if i am inaccurate.

Correct me if i am inaccurate.

You are perfectly correct.

wat happens to different circuits when it occurs.wat operates it .

Well more current will flow in the circuit than needed. This may result in a fire because a wire can only handle a cirtain amount of current. As more current flows, the wire becomes hotter and then this could lead to a fire. This is why we have fuses and circuit breakers.

Last edited:
A short circuit generally means that current is going somewhere it is not supposed to go. Excessivelyl high current is NOT a requirement in a short circuit condition. The word "SHORT" litterally means that the current is taking the 'short way around the circuit' instead of the intended way.

I agree thus far to more as less what has been said. The common meaning for a short circuit is when the anode and cathode of a cell or battery are connected, meaning that there is only the impedance of the wires and Internal resistance of the battery between them. This tends to result in the overloading a cicuit with current often 10^2 (or greater) times more current than normal which leads to heat build up, and then sparks and all sorts of mayhem. Oh and it can seriously screw with your equipment!

ok its a larger current current. but how is this larger current produced?

short circuit current depends on a few main factors, but not entirely on, the voltage present, the amount of load on the circuit, the power available.

the Bussman Fuse company has a good PDF that runs through short circuit calculations. whether or not you understand the math fully, you can get an idea of what your dealing with with results reaching 10s of thousands and even 100Ks. enjoy

http://www.bussmann.com/library/indcon/System%20available%20fault%20currents.pdf

observateur20 said:
ok its a larger current current. but how is this larger current produced?

You came back after 5 years to resurrect your old thread, and changed your user name slightly? Or is something else going on here?

What is a short circuit?

A short circuit is a fault in an electrical circuit where a low-resistance connection (or short) is created between two points that are not supposed to be connected. This results in an abnormal flow of current and can cause damage to the circuit and connected devices.

What causes a short circuit?

A short circuit can be caused by various factors, such as damaged or frayed wires, faulty or improperly installed components, or moisture or other contaminants in the circuit. It can also occur due to human error, such as incorrect wiring or overloading the circuit.

What happens during a short circuit?

During a short circuit, the abnormal flow of current causes a sudden increase in temperature in the affected area, which can lead to melting of wires or components. This can also create sparks or explosions, depending on the severity of the short circuit. In some cases, the circuit breaker or fuse may trip, cutting off power to the circuit.

How can a short circuit be prevented?

To prevent short circuits, it is important to ensure that all electrical components and wiring are in good condition and properly installed. This includes regular maintenance and inspections of electrical systems. It is also important to avoid overloading circuits and to use appropriate circuit protection devices, such as fuses or circuit breakers.

What should I do if a short circuit occurs?

If a short circuit occurs, it is important to immediately turn off the power to the affected area and assess the situation. If there is any visible damage or smoke, do not attempt to fix the issue yourself and call a professional electrician. It is also important to replace any damaged components and have the circuit inspected before using it again.