Calculating Current and Power in Resistors: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, current is the flow of electric charge measured in amperes (A) and is typically measured using an ammeter. In a circuit with a resistor, the current decreases as the resistance increases due to Ohm's Law. This law states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Current can flow through a resistor in both directions in an AC circuit, and as the voltage increases across a resistor, the current will also increase proportionally. However, if the resistance of a resistor is increased, the current will decrease due to the inverse relationship between current and resistance.
the_d
can any1 clue me into how u calculate the current through a resistor and the power absorbed by a resistor please!?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do I use Ohms Law V = i * R?

use I = V/R then for power, P = VI

ok thanks wayneo i have another question, how do i find the equivalent resistance seen by a source?

i don't rely understand the question soz

thats cool i think i got it thanks for ur help on the 1st partz

1. What is current and how is it measured?

Current is the flow of electric charge, measured in amperes (A). It is typically measured using an ammeter, which is placed in series with the resistor in the circuit.

2. How does current behave in a circuit with a resistor?

In a circuit with a resistor, the current will decrease as the resistance increases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R): I = V/R.

3. Can current flow through a resistor in both directions?

Yes, current can flow through a resistor in both directions. In an alternating current (AC) circuit, the direction of current changes periodically, causing it to flow in both directions through the resistor.

4. How does the current change as the voltage changes across a resistor?

According to Ohm's Law, as the voltage increases across a resistor, the current will also increase. This relationship is linear, meaning that the current will change proportionally to the change in voltage.

5. What happens to the current if the resistance of a resistor is increased?

If the resistance of a resistor is increased, the current will decrease. This is because the relationship between current and resistance is inverse, meaning that as resistance increases, current decreases.