Vector Transformations: Problem 1.10(a-c) - DJGriffiths

In summary, vector transformations are mathematical operations that map vectors from one coordinate system to another using a transformation matrix. Problem 1.10(a-c) in DJGriffiths' book involves finding the transformation matrix for a given vector transformation. The purpose of studying vector transformations is to understand how vectors behave in different coordinate systems and to manipulate and analyze vector quantities in various physical systems. Some real-life applications of vector transformations include calculating forces and velocities, designing 3D graphics, and analyzing fluid flow. To improve understanding, it is important to practice solving problems, study the properties and rules of vector transformations, and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.
Living_Dog
Problem 1.10(a) of DJGriffiths asks: "How do the components of a vector transform under a translation of coordinates?"

This is confusing me (not hard to do) since the translation is given, then isn't it just:

x' = x + A

where A = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}
0 \\ -a \\ 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Problem 1.10(b): The same "... inversion ..." so that x' = -I x?

Problem 1.10(c): "How does the cross-product of two vectors transform under inversion?"

Once again, if A is a vector, then it transforms as always A' = RA.

So how is it any different if the vector is generated by a cross-product or is made up by me? It's a vector! Unless the question is not asking about A', but rather about how does BxC transform? ...how would I apply the ransformation to the actual cross-product? I mean, do I take RBxRC or R(BxC)??

sorry if my questions are annoying or too frequent. but it's always the same thing - I read the chapter and have no problem following the theory. Then I get to the Problems section and suddenly it's like the questions have nothing to do with the chapter I just read! :frown:

-LD

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Living_Dog said:
Problem 1.10(a) of DJGriffiths asks: "How do the components of a vector transform under a translation of coordinates?"

This is confusing me (not hard to do) since the translation is given, then isn't it just:

x' = x + A

No, vectors are invariant under translation. For instance if you and I are at rest relative to each other but standing at different locations, and one of us observes a car zipping by at 50 mph due east, then the other of us will agree with that velocity measurement.

Problem 1.10(b): The same "... inversion ..." so that x' = -I x?

Just carry out the matrix multiplication and you'll have your answer.

Problem 1.10(c): "How does the cross-product of two vectors transform under inversion?"

Once again, if A is a vector, then it transforms as always A' = RA.

So how is it any different if the vector is generated by a cross-product or is made up by me? It's a vector!

Strictly speaking the cross product of two vectors is not a vector: It's an axial vector or pseudovector.

Unless the question is not asking about A', but rather about how does BxC transform? ...how would I apply the ransformation to the actual cross-product? I mean, do I take RBxRC or R(BxC)??

Yes, that's what they're asking. You would transform the vectors B and C first, then take their cross product.

1. What is a vector transformation?

A vector transformation is a mathematical operation that maps a vector from one coordinate system to another. It involves changing the components of the vector based on the transformation matrix.

2. What is Problem 1.10(a-c) in DJGriffiths' book?

Problem 1.10(a-c) is a set of three problems in the book "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. These problems involve finding the transformation matrix for a given vector transformation.

3. What is the purpose of studying vector transformations?

Studying vector transformations is important in understanding how vectors behave in different coordinate systems. It also allows for the manipulation and analysis of vector quantities in various physical systems.

4. What are some real-life applications of vector transformations?

Vector transformations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples of real-life applications include calculating forces and velocities in different reference frames, designing 3D graphics, and analyzing fluid flow in different coordinate systems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector transformations?

To improve your understanding of vector transformations, it is important to practice solving problems and working with different coordinate systems. You can also study the properties and rules of vector transformations, as well as their applications in various fields. Seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be helpful.