Georgia Tech vs UMich for Nuclear Engineering Grad School

• Thread starter flamesniper
  • Start date
In summary: Both schools have excellent reputations in nuclear engineering, with Georgia Tech having a slight edge in overall ranking. Both universities offer a good mix of technical and policy oriented courses. The student to faculty ratio at both schools is about 1/3.
flamesniper
Hi,
I just got accepted for grad school in nuclear engineering in Georgia Tech and in UMich-Ann Arbor. I am wrestling with the decision where to go. UMich was ranked #1 in nuclear engineering, whereas GaTech is slightly higher in general overall ranking (not highly ranked in nuc eng). It seems to me Atlanta is the nicer city and Gatech seems more "engineering-esque". Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The girl/guy ratio at GT is 1/3. You might want to check out www.studentsreview.com for some insight about the school from students that are attending, or atleast have attended, those schools. Good luck with your decision.

U of M all the way, great school, great city, excellent reputation for engineering and huge alumni that might help when searching for a job.

Both are good schools for nuclear engineering!

In what particular area of nuclear engineering is one interested?

flamesniper said:
It seems to me Atlanta is the nicer city

Depends on your definition of "nicer," I suppose. :smile:

I went to grad school (physics) at U of M and very much enjoyed living in Ann Arbor for eight years. I've never lived in Atlanta but have visited it once or twice a year for the past fifteen years or so (easy driving distance for weekend trips). I personally would pick Ann Arbor again, but that might be because while I enjoy visiting big cities, I feel more at home in medium-sized to small ones.

You cannot get that "college town" feeling as much in atlanta, Ann Arbor is pretty much the definition of a college town, a really exciting and diverse culture and atmosphere.

Thanks for the feedback! I wanted to go to UMich, but Georgia threw a nice chunk of money my way, and since I'm an international student, I couldn't decline. I sold my soul ;)
I would like to pursue a career in nuclear non-proliferation (but from a more technical standpoint) - a hybrid of engineering and policy.

What is the difference between Georgia Tech and UMich for Nuclear Engineering grad school?

Both Georgia Tech and UMich are highly reputable schools for nuclear engineering, and there are several key differences between the two programs. Georgia Tech is known for its strong focus on research and innovation in the field, while UMich has a more traditional approach with a well-established curriculum. Additionally, Georgia Tech has a smaller program with a more intimate learning environment, while UMich has a larger program with more diverse opportunities for networking and collaboration.

Which school has a higher ranking in nuclear engineering?

Both Georgia Tech and UMich have highly ranked nuclear engineering programs, but UMich typically ranks slightly higher in national rankings. However, rankings should not be the sole factor in deciding between the two schools, as the quality of education and research opportunities may vary for each individual student.

What are the research opportunities like at Georgia Tech and UMich for nuclear engineering?

Both schools have strong research programs in nuclear engineering, but the focus and opportunities may differ. Georgia Tech's program is known for its cutting-edge research in areas such as nuclear materials, nuclear security, and reactor design. UMich's program also has a strong research focus, with opportunities in areas such as nuclear energy and radiation measurement and imaging. It is important to research the specific research areas and opportunities at each school to determine which aligns best with your interests and goals.

Which school has a better job placement rate for nuclear engineering graduates?

Both Georgia Tech and UMich have high job placement rates for their nuclear engineering graduates, with many students securing positions in top companies and government agencies. It may be beneficial to research the specific companies and organizations that regularly recruit from each school to determine which aligns better with your career goals.

What is the cost difference between attending Georgia Tech and UMich for nuclear engineering grad school?

The cost of attending each school may vary depending on factors such as residency, financial aid, and scholarships. In-state tuition for Georgia Tech is generally lower than UMich, but out-of-state tuition for UMich may be comparable or slightly lower. It is important to research and compare the tuition costs and financial aid options for each school to determine the most affordable option for you.