Calculating Hot and Cold Water Mass for Temperature Equilibrium

In summary, when you take a bath, you need to mix hot and cold water to have a temperature of 36 degrees Celsius. The mass of the hot water is greater than the mass of the cold water by .57, so the hot water takes up 69% of the mass of the bath.
MetalCut
The question is:
When you take a bath, how many kilograms of hot water(49.0 Degrees Celcius) must you mix with cold water(13.0 Degrees Celcius) so that the temperature of the bath is 36.0 Degrees Celcius. The total mass of water(hot + cold) is 191kg. Ignore any heat flow between the water and the external surroundings.

As far as i know Q=mL, where m is the mass of the cold water,
Q=cm(change in T), where T is the higher temperature minus the lower eauilibrium temperature. And that the equilibrium temperature is 36.

But i don't understand how to deal with this question if the temperature given is for both hot and cold water. If i had one of those, the question would have been easy.:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
MetalCut said:
The question is:
When you take a bath, how many kilograms of hot water(49.0 Degrees Celcius) must you mix with cold water(13.0 Degrees Celcius) so that the temperature of the bath is 36.0 Degrees Celcius. The total mass of water(hot + cold) is 191kg. Ignore any heat flow between the water and the external surroundings.

As far as i know Q=mL, where m is the mass of the cold water,
Q=cm(change in T), where T is the higher temperature minus the lower eauilibrium temperature. And that the equilibrium temperature is 36.

But i don't understand how to deal with this question if the temperature given is for both hot and cold water. If i had one of those, the question would have been easy.:cry:
You know that there is a loss of 13 degrees of the hot water and a gain of 23 degrees for the cold. Since heat energy transferred/unit mass is proportional to temperature change, what does this tell you about the relative proportion of hot to cold water initially?

AM

Yes I know that, but still no idea...
Is there like a ratio or something.

MetalCut said:
Yes I know that, but still no idea...
Is there like a ratio or something.
Let x represent the mass of cold water and y the mass of hot water.

We know that x + y = 191.

We also know that the heat flowing gained by the cold is equal to the heat lost by the hot. That heat is [itex]Q = m\Delta T[/itex]

So: Q = 23x = 13y --> x = 13y/23

Work that out to find x and y.

AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can i not do it like this:

The cold water went from 13-36, so 23 is the difference.
23/36*(100) = 63.8%
So then 63.8% of 191kg is 121kg. That would then be the mass of the hot water.
The hot water went from 49-36, so 13 is the difference.
13/36*(100) = 36.2%
And then 36.2% of 191kg is 70kg. That would be the mass of the cold water.

Is this right or is it a coincidence?

MetalCut said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can i not do it like this:

The cold water went from 13-36, so 23 is the difference.
23/36*(100) = 63.8%
So then 63.8% of 191kg is 121kg. That would then be the mass of the hot water.
The hot water went from 49-36, so 13 is the difference.
13/36*(100) = 36.2%
And then 36.2% of 191kg is 70kg. That would be the mass of the cold water.

Is this right or is it a coincidence?
It is a coincidence. The answer is about right but the reasoning is not. You are using 36 because it is the final temperature. Why would you divide by the final temperature? What if the temperatures were in degrees K?

The only reason it works out is because, coincidentally, the sum of the temperature differences is equal to the final temperature in C.

Use simple algebra:

(1) x + y = 191 and
(2) 23x = 13y

Substitute x = .57y from (2) into (1) to get 1.57y=191 so y = 122 kg. and x = 69 kg.

AM

Ok thanks man. Appreciate it. C ya.

1. What is temperature equilibrium?

Temperature equilibrium is a state in which the temperature of a system remains constant over time. This means that the rate of energy transfer between the system and its surroundings is equal, resulting in no net change in temperature.

2. How is temperature equilibrium achieved?

Temperature equilibrium is achieved through the process of heat transfer. Heat will naturally flow from a warmer object to a cooler object until both reach the same temperature. Once this occurs, temperature equilibrium is achieved.

3. What factors affect temperature equilibrium?

The main factors that affect temperature equilibrium include the heat capacity of the system, the surface area of the objects involved, and the thermal conductivity of the materials. These factors determine how easily heat can transfer between objects.

4. What happens if temperature equilibrium is not reached?

If temperature equilibrium is not reached, the system will continue to experience a change in temperature over time. This can result in thermal expansion or contraction, changes in phase, and other physical changes depending on the specific system.

5. How is temperature equilibrium used in scientific research?

Temperature equilibrium is often used in scientific research to study the behavior of materials and systems at different temperatures. By controlling the temperature equilibrium, scientists can observe how different substances react and change under specific conditions, providing valuable insights and data for further research and development.