MSN Messenger connection problem

• Thread starter zpidermen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of being unable to connect to MSN Messenger 7.x. Several potential solutions are suggested, such as running an error check and upgrading to a higher version. It is also mentioned that the messenger may be able to connect through HTTP if its ports are not open. The possibility of a firewall issue is brought up, as well as the potential for malicious programs on the computer. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check the username and password.
zpidermen
Hi, I've MSN Messenger 7.x but I can't connect anymore. I'm behind the Windows Firewall (which I temporarely have disabled) and I'm connecting to the internet with a router, which has a built-in firewall. Can somebody help? Please.

Computer science news on Phys.org
As you have posted that you cannot connect to it anymore, I assume that you could once, so that there is nothing wrong with the installation. Try running the in-build function to find errors. If it is something wrong with your installation you could always upgrade to a higher version. It might also go away by itself (that is, a problem with their network) or you may have malicious programs on your computer. This is all I can do with the little information you have provided.

I think MSN Messenger 7.x can connect through HTTP if its ports aren't open, like many other messengers do, so it might not be a firewall issue.

Do you have Windows Messenger also running, it could be running in the background. This happened to a friend of mine and he had to kill Windows Messenger in order for MSN 7 to start running again.

-Job- said:
I think MSN Messenger 7.x can connect through HTTP if its ports aren't open, like many other messengers do, so it might not be a firewall issue.

What do you mean? The destination port on the MSN Server *can* be 80?

I would check your username and password first..

That's right, i think Microsoft exposes a web interface, accessible through port 80, to their Messenger server, so when MSN Messenger's ports aren't available it can use this interface to send/receive messages.

1. What causes connection problems on MSN Messenger?

There are several potential causes for connection problems on MSN Messenger. These can include issues with your internet connection, server outages, or problems with the MSN Messenger program itself.

2. How can I troubleshoot connection problems on MSN Messenger?

To troubleshoot connection problems on MSN Messenger, you can try restarting your internet router, checking for any updates for the program, and making sure your internet connection is stable. You can also try using a different device or internet connection to see if the issue persists.

3. Why does MSN Messenger keep disconnecting?

MSN Messenger may keep disconnecting due to a weak internet connection, server issues, or outdated software. It could also be caused by conflicting programs or settings on your device.

4. How can I fix a "connection timed out" error on MSN Messenger?

If you are receiving a "connection timed out" error on MSN Messenger, it could be due to a weak internet connection or server issues. You can try restarting your internet router or contacting MSN support for further assistance.

5. Is there a way to prevent connection problems on MSN Messenger?

While some connection problems on MSN Messenger may be out of your control, there are steps you can take to prevent them. These include having a stable internet connection, keeping your software and devices updated, and avoiding conflicting programs or settings.