FLUKEY OR SPOOKY? Incredible real-life coincidences or are they?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I'm going to jail!". I rode up to them and they asked where I was going and I told them. Then one of the nuns said "would you happen to have a light?" I reached into my saddlebag and handed her my light. I told them I had been riding all day and I was very tired. They said "well, we'll be happy to give you a ride back to the highway". So, they loaded me into their car and drove me back to the highway. As I was getting out of the car one of the nuns said "would you like to come in and have a cup of tea?". So, I did. That was the most interesting thing that ever happened to me. In summary, this woman's
Evo said:
A few years ago I was driving home from work and a car in the next lane had a custom license plate PFSIS4U.

I want that plate (if only I had my own car). Think of all the plates we could have (domestic, and abroad... and are motorcycle/scooter plates under different systems too? I really would prefer to scooter anyways.)

Physics news on Phys.org
A pack of smokes, two candy bars and a cup of coffee=10 bucks. ingredients, that i didn't have, for taco night=$10. I have atleast seven occurrences in the last few years of keeping a journal. perhaps i just like spending exactly $10.00. Maybe I also am very quick at calculating math and am unaware of it. let's also say i have alist of all taxable and untaxable goods somewhere in my head. and i use this list to filter and adjust for tax on the way up to the cashier. then it seems a coincidence i have these abilities and they function so well without conscious thought.

Darken-Sol said:
lets also say i have alist of all taxable and untaxable goods somewhere in my head. and i use this list to filter and adjust for tax on the way up to the cashier. then it seems a coincidence i have these abilities and they function so well without conscious thought.

Assuming sales tax is consistent on products, chances are you'd know the exact amount to which you'd add tax to get $10.

So when you're out, you're aware of this figure when buying things and work to it.

It's really not a coincidence when you consider you live with money day in day out. I'd actually be a bit worried if you couldn't give at least an approximate total with tax. From this perspective, most people should be able to 'force' a total of $10.

Another note, now you're focussing on spending (you say you're recording it) it could produce these results.

EDIT: A second note, if you have relatively consistent shopping habits you would find yourself spending the same amount a lot, again producing false results. An example of this would be me always buying a bottle of drink and chocolate on the way to work, each day it could total £2.00 - "wow, always spending the same amount" - when in reality it's purely down to my own habits and nothing mysterious about it.

i actually live near the border of another state where food has no tax unless it is prepared.so the tax depends on whether i cook my burrito at the store or take it home and cook it. here clothing has no tax. my last post was sarcasm. i apologise. i really don't keep track or calculate tax. i do however write about oddities in my journal. its really not incredible.

Darken-Sol said:
i actually live near the border of another state where food has no tax unless it is prepared.so the tax depends on whether i cook my burrito at the store or take it home and cook it. here clothing has no tax. my last post was sarcasm. i apologise. i really don't keep track or calculate tax. i do however write about oddities in my journal. its really not incredible.

Wasn't an attack, sorry if you took it in any such way.

Just want to provide a more 'level headed' approach for anyone who reads through.

Weird. That is all I have to say.

Last night I was thinking of the book "The little prince", I don't know why, I don't recall ever reading it. I just got off the phone with my daughter The Evo Child. She asked me if I had ever read them "The little prince" when they were young, and I said I don't think so, why? She said she suddenly thought about it last night so she went out this morning and bought it. I told her I had thought about it last night too.

FLUKEY OR SPOOKY?

Evo said:
Last night I was thinking of the book "The little prince", I don't know why, I don't recall ever reading it. I just got off the phone with my daughter The Evo Child. She asked me if I had ever read them "The little prince" when they were young, and I said I don't think so, why? She said she suddenly thought about it last night so she went out this morning and bought it. I told her I had thought about it last night too.

FLUKEY OR SPOOKY?

If such a thing happens rarely, FLUKEY.

If often, SPOOKY !

(IMO)

Evo said:

*whistles X-files tune*

The only thing I find a bit weird for me is that every now and then I'll just think "grab my phone" and as I reach for it it'll go off with an email/text.

But then the question is "how many times have I grabbed my phone and it hasn't gone off?" - I suspect that answer may spoil the illusion of my precognitive abilities...

If one is to attribute such a story to statistics, then one should be able to show approximately what the odds may be.

Anyone care to do that calculation? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
If one is to attribute such a story to statistics, then one should be able to show approximately what the odds may be.

Anyone care to do that calculation? :biggrin:

Here's a start for someone:

I get approximately 40 emails per day.
I check my phone anywhere up to a maximum of 20 times an hour (depends on boredom level). On average it's around 10 times.

I suppose you could assume an even distribution of each per hour and work out the odds they will fall together.

JaredJames said:
Here's a start for someone:

I get approximately 40 emails per day.
I check my phone anywhere up to a maximum of 20 times an hour (depends on boredom level). On average it's around 10 times.

I suppose you could assume an even distribution of each per hour and work out the odds they will fall together.

I'm talking about Evo's story. Yours isn't that hard to manage.

JaredJames said:
*whistles X-files tune*

The only thing I find a bit weird for me is that every now and then I'll just think "grab my phone" and as I reach for it it'll go off with an email/text.

But then the question is "how many times have I grabbed my phone and it hasn't gone off?" - I suspect that answer may spoil the illusion of my precognitive abilities...

You would find that weird ? Reaching for your phone, as you said up to 20 times an hour, and it going off as you reach for it - that's weird ? I'd call it weird if it didn't sometines go of in those circumstances.

alt said:
You would find that weird ? Reaching for your phone, as you said up to 20 times an hour, and it going off as you reach for it - that's weird ? I'd call it weird if it didn't sometines go of in those circumstances.

No I meant it's weird if you only consider the times it goes off when it rings when I grab it. Something a lot of people do.

When it happens, first thought is "how weird". Followed by "oh, no it's not".

However, as I clearly point out in the first post, the moment you consider the actual numbers involved, any 'mystical' qualities take a running jump out the window.

I'm very much aware of exactly how uninteresting such a thing is.

Evo said:

FLUKEY OR SPOOKY?

is it possible that there was something about this book on telly or radio the previous day ?

ibfc

JaredJames said:
No I meant it's weird if you only consider the times it goes off when it rings when I grab it. Something a lot of people do.

When it happens, first thought is "how weird". Followed by "oh, no it's not".

However, as I clearly point out in the first post, the moment you consider the actual numbers involved, any 'mystical' qualities take a running jump out the window.

I'm very much aware of exactly how uninteresting such a thing is.

Yes, I know what you meant. Still, I maintain that it is not weird at all, for your phone to go off sometimes as you reach for it, if you do so 20 times an hour. You seem to agree with that .. Followed by "oh, no it's not".

The actual numbers involved however, multiple times per hour, say 200 - 300 times per day (?) are light years apart from the rare incident that Evo described. Even so, as I said in response to that, if it happens rarely, that's easily attributed to coincidence.

If however, such things happen frequently to a person - things that might have odds of once a year, say, then that's a very different thing.

As Ivan was saying (I think) it's in the odds.

But I think we've been down this path before, many months ago - and no one seemed to be willing or able to tackle the odds.

PS - I'm asuming that Evo had no subliminal or subconscious perception of anything relating to the book prior to the event, ie, heard of it in the background or something.

ibrakeforcake said:
is it possible that there was something about this book on telly or radio the previous day ?
Possible of course, but highly improbable. I rarely have the tv on anything but the Food Network, and my daughter rarely watches tv, she goes to school full time and holds down 2 jobs, about the only thing she makes time to watch is Dexter.

alt said:
PS - I'm asuming that Evo had no subliminal or subconscious perception of anything relating to the book prior to the event, ie, heard of it in the background or something.
None that I am aware of, but the odd thing is us both thinking of a book neither of us have been exposed to at the same time.

But there is a long and bizarre history of these things happening between us. Especially when she was 12-14, and less so until she turned 16.

Here's an odd thing. When I was in my third trimester pregnant with her, a very dark, defined *beauty mark* appeared on the palm of my left hand, on the right lower side. It appeared overnight, I know that weird things can happen with pigmentation when you are pregnant, so I decided it just a bizarre pregnancy thing and it would go away, my doctor had no idea how it could've happened. When Evo Child was born, she was born with a brown *beauty mark* on her left palm in exactly the same place. We both still have the marks.

alt said:
Yes, I know what you meant. Still, I maintain that it is not weird at all, for your phone to go off sometimes as you reach for it, if you do so 20 times an hour. You seem to agree with that .. Followed by "oh, no it's not".

I have no idea what you're supposedly pointing out. You're maintaining a fact that no one has disagreed with or even questioned. From the start I said I knew it wasn't weird, so what exactly is your point?
You would find that weird ?
I maintain that it is not weird at all

Your comments are as if I've made out it's some weird event. At best I said "a bit weird" but immediately after that I mentioned the odds and how 'not' weird it actually is.

I honestly don't know what is being discussed here, or what I supposedly said to bring it about.
Evo said:
Here's an odd thing. When I was in my third trimester pregnant with her, a very dark, defined *beauty mark* appeared on the palm of my left hand, on the right lower side. It appeared overnight, I know that weird things can happen with pigmentation when you are pregnant, so I decided it just a bizarre pregnancy thing and it would go away, my doctor had no idea how it could've happened. When Evo Child was born, she was born with a brown *beauty mark* on her left palm in exactly the same place. We both still have the marks.

A real life Madagascar.

You'd be surprised how subtle a suggestion it would take for you both to be on the same topic. Even an advert on TV neither of you thought you saw could do it.

JaredJames said:
A real life Madagascar.
What's that?

You'd be surprised how subtle a suggestion it would take for you both to be on the same topic. Even an advert on TV neither of you thought you saw could do it.
The thread is about odd coincidences, isn't it?

Evo said:
What's that?

It's a film, the sequel has Alex the lion meet his father in Africa and they only realize they are related when they see the birthmarks on each others palms in the shape of Africa:
[PLAIN]http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/t/b/tbndt7bixrn5ibrd.jpg
The thread is about odd coincidences, isn't it?

Well I'm working on deciding whether something is "Flukey" or "Spooky". Must eliminate all possibilities. If for example, there were a few TV adverts for it and your daughter suddenly phones you about it after you've bought it, it really wouldn't be that odd.

I'm also thinking along the lines of how often had you both been thinking about it and simply forgot because it didn't become anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
JaredJames said:
It's a film, the sequel has ...

Ah. If you'd said 'Madagascar the sequel', that would have made more sense (I haven't seen the sequel but I would have caught on.)

DaveC426913 said:
Ah. If you'd said 'Madagascar the sequel', that would have made more sense (I haven't seen the sequel but I would have caught on.)

I thought it was the first one initially, it wasn't until I looked up the picture I realized it wasn't.

JaredJames said:
It's a film, the sequel has Alex the lion meet his father in Africa and they only realize they are related when they see the birthmarks on each others palms in the shape of Africa:
[PLAIN]http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/t/b/tbndt7bixrn5ibrd.jpg[/quote]LOL.

Well I'm working on deciding whether something is "Flukey" or "Spooky". Must eliminate all possibilities. If for example, there were a few TV adverts for it and your daughter suddenly phones you about it after you've bought it, it really wouldn't be that odd.

I'm also thinking along the lines of how often had you both been thinking about it and simply forgot because it didn't become anything?
It's an old, old book, I don't know why it would be advertised. I read the wiki on it last night, so I know I've never read it. It's just an odd thing, considering I was walking out of the bathroom and when I got next to my bed I suddenly thought of the book and thought it was odd that it popped into my mind. It's a well known book, so I'd heard of it, but had no idea what it was about. Then the next evening when Evo Child just out of the blue asked me if I had ever read the book to her and I asked her what brought that up and she said she suddenly thought of it the previous night and actually made a trip that morning to buy it, I thought it was a rather odd coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
It's an old, old book, I don't know why it would be advertised. I read the wiki on it last night, so I know I've never read it. It's just an odd thing, considering I was walking out of the bathroom and when I got next to my bed I suddenly thought of the book and thought it was odd that it popped into my mind. It's a well known book, so I'd heard of it, but had no idea what it was about. Then the next evening when Evo Child just out of the blue asked me if I had ever read the book to her and I asked her what brought that up and she said she suddenly thought of it the previous night and actually made a trip that morning to buy it, I thought it was a rather odd coincidence.

Certainly on the weirder side of things. It's going on my "spooky" pile.

Evo said:
LOL.

There must be some significance to the book for each of you, otherwise you wouldn't have thought of it in the first place, and she wouldn't have bought it - or mentioned it. Before trying to find a possible connection between these two disparate events (yours and hers), what is it individually that brought it to your discrete attentions?

DaveC426913 said:
There must be some significance to the book for each of you, otherwise you wouldn't have thought of it in the first place, and she wouldn't have bought it - or mentioned it. Before trying to find a possible connection between these two disparate events (yours and hers), what is it individually that brought it to your discrete attentions?
No clue. Reading the wiki description, I know why I never read it, I don't like those kinds of books. I can question her more about it to see if she can recall why she would have thought of the book. It won't be the first time that she's thought of something and it's popped into my mind.

Of course she thinks of things all day, every day that don't pop into my mind. So when something odd like this happens, it stands out.

'Last night I was thinking of the book "The little prince", '

Something triggered that thought. There must be a reason that you started thinking about a book - especially one you've never read. We can deduce that you know of the book (otherwise it's just three words string together).

Now, I'm not suggesting you are going to be able to figure out what brought it into your head - in fact, what I'm suggesting is that we know there's something that triggered it that you are unaware of. Whcih means therein could hide the connection.

(Kind of like seeing 100 feet of garden hose, but no water coming out of it, even though the water's on. There's got to be a crimp in it somewhere, yet you can see 99 feet of the garden hose is uncrimped. There's only that one foot section where it goes behind a tree trunk...)

Here's a coinky-dink.

Last night on Family Guy, Peter and Brian were crawling through some ducting and Peter aid 'Not I know what a TV dinner feels like'. Brain said 'What?' and Peter said 'It's a Die Hard Reference.'

I'd never heard that comment before.

Today, by coincidence, I'm watching Die Hard on Sunday afternoon TV. That reference is more than an hour into the movie.

DaveC426913 said:
Today, by coincidence, I'm watching Die Hard on Sunday afternoon TV. That reference is more than an hour into the movie.

Now my line of thinking on that would be you were more inclined to watch it because you'd heard it - even on a subconscious level.

JaredJames said:
Now my line of thinking on that would be you were more inclined to watch it because you'd heard it - even on a subconscious level.
Prolly.

JaredJames said:
I have no idea what you're supposedly pointing out. You're maintaining a fact that no one has disagreed with or even questioned. From the start I said I knew it wasn't weird, so what exactly is your point?

Your comments are as if I've made out it's some weird event. At best I said "a bit weird" but immediately after that I mentioned the odds and how 'not' weird it actually is.

I honestly don't know what is being discussed here, or what I supposedly said to bring it about.

OK - I now understand that you said it wasn't weird.

DaveC426913 said:
Here's a coinky-dink.

Last night on Family Guy, Peter and Brian were crawling through some ducting and Peter aid 'Not I know what a TV dinner feels like'. Brain said 'What?' and Peter said 'It's a Die Hard Reference.'

I'd never heard that comment before.

I'm sure you're not asserting there was something weird here ?

To make it simpler, I saw a number plate ending in 1234. I thought "that's cute" (or, I may have thought nothing at all).
10 minutes later I saw another plate ending in 1234. So what ? No one would claim anything anomalous here .. would they ?

I think the point of Evo's post however (please correct me if I'm wrong here Evo) is that she had a thought or mental impression of a relatively rare event, which subsequently occurred in reality - within a short space of time.

If such events are rare in a persons life, it is easy to call them flukey - coincidence.
However, if they are frequent, if they occur with regularity, and have a low probability factor, then the question has to be asked - "where did the information come from" ?

alt said:
I'm sure you're not asserting there was something weird here ?
No. But what I thought was funny is that I had this funny coincidence occur while at that moment engaged in an online discussion about funny coincidences.

DaveC426913 said:
'Last night I was thinking of the book "The little prince", '

Something triggered that thought. There must be a reason that you started thinking about a book - especially one you've never read. We can deduce that you know of the book (otherwise it's just three words string together).

Now, I'm not suggesting you are going to be able to figure out what brought it into your head - in fact, what I'm suggesting is that we know there's something that triggered it that you are unaware of. Whcih means therein could hide the connection.

You're not suggesting that she's going to be able to figure out what brought it into her head, but that something did ? I'm sure she knows that. And I'm sure she IS unaware of what that trigger was, else, we would have no issue here.

DaveC426913 said:
No. But what I thought was funny is that I had this funny coincidence occur while at that moment engaged in an online discussion about funny coincidences.

i was reminded by the picture from Madagascar that i also have a birthmark ...shaped...like...Africa :eek:

but not on my Paw

ibfc