Calculating Compressed Air Propulsion: Methods and Formulas for Model Torpedoes

In summary, the speaker is designing a model torpedo and is considering using compressed air for propulsion. They are trying to calculate the time it takes for a certain volume of compressed air at a specific pressure to leave through a hole or vent of a certain diameter. They have searched for information on this topic but have not found a satisfactory method and are looking for suggestions. They also mention a website by Milton Beychok that may be helpful.
Gepard
Hi,

I'm currently designing a model torpedo and plan to use compressed air for it's propulsion and am working out if it's feasible.

At the moment I'm trying to calculate how long it takes for X volume of compressed air at Y pressure to leave (IE return to atmospheric pressure) through a hole or vent of Z diameter. I've had a Google but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it but so far the best way I can think of it is to break it down into groups of milliseconds and then use the Venturi Effect to give me a rough idea but it seems a little crude.

Anyone care to suggest a better method? I'm presuming there is some 'magical formula' that I'm not quite getting.

Cheers,

Michael

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at Milton Beychok's website here:

http://www.air-dispersion.com/feature2.html

Even though it is labeled for accidental release, it is applicable for the pressurized release to atmosphere of a compressed gas. It's worth your time to read through.

Hello Michael,

Calculating the propulsion of a model torpedo using compressed air can be a complex task. However, there are some methods and formulas that can help you determine the feasibility of your design. One approach is to use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, temperature, and volume of a gas are related by the equation PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation can help you determine the volume of compressed air needed to achieve a certain pressure and how long it will take to release through a specific diameter hole or vent.

Another method is to use the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid flow and the Venturi effect you mentioned. This equation can help you determine the velocity of the compressed air as it exits the hole or vent, which can then be used to calculate the time it takes for the air to reach atmospheric pressure.

I recommend consulting with a fluid dynamics expert or researching more in-depth on these equations to get a more accurate estimation. Good luck with your design!

1. What is escaping compressed air?

Escaping compressed air refers to the sudden and rapid release of compressed air from a container or system. This release can occur due to various reasons, such as a malfunctioning valve, over-pressurization, or physical damage to the container.

2. Is escaping compressed air dangerous?

Yes, escaping compressed air can be very dangerous. The rapid release of compressed air can cause objects to fly and potentially injure individuals in the surrounding area. It can also cause severe burns and frostbite due to the rapid drop in temperature as the air expands.

3. How can I prevent escaping compressed air?

To prevent escaping compressed air, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain all equipment and containers containing compressed air. It is also essential to follow proper safety procedures and protocols, such as wearing appropriate personal protective equipment and using proper tools and techniques when handling compressed air systems.

4. What should I do if I encounter escaping compressed air?

If you encounter escaping compressed air, it is important to stay calm and immediately move away from the area. Alert others in the surrounding area and call for help if needed. Do not try to stop the escaping air or approach the container or system until it has been properly inspected and deemed safe by a trained professional.

5. Can compressed air explosions occur?

Yes, compressed air explosions can occur if the escaping air comes into contact with a spark or flame. This can happen in situations where compressed air is used in close proximity to heat sources, such as welding equipment. It is important to take proper precautions to prevent explosions, such as ensuring proper ventilation and avoiding using compressed air near potential ignition sources.