Solving Parallel Spring System with 30N Weight: Step-by-Step Explanation

In summary, the problem asked how far down a 30 N weight would stretch two springs with different spring constants in a parallel system. The springs were positioned so that the weight would stretch them equally. Using the equation 3.2X + 6.6X = 30, where X is the unknown stretch, it was determined that the weight would stretch the springs 3.06 cm.
kiwikahuna

Homework Statement

In the parallel spring system, the springs are positioned so that the 30 N weight stretches each spring equally. The spring constant for the left hand spring is 3.2 N/cm and the spring constant for the right-hand spring is 6.6 N/cm.
The diagram is basically 2 springs holding a 30 N weight. (similar to this picture)http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=simg476yr9.gif

The question is asking how far down will the 30N weight stretch the springs?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

30 N/ (3.2 N/cm) = 9.375 cm
30 N / (6.6 N/cm) = 4.54 cm

I'm not entirely sure what to do from this point because conceptually, I don't understand how one spring with a smaller spring constant can hold up a weight at the same level as the larger spring constant. If you know how to do this problem, please help! This problem is due by Monday! Thank you in advance to those who reply!

Physics news on Phys.org
u can't divide 30 by the spring constants because it is not the force applied to each,
for equal strectching, the forces on the springs have to be different.
how can u make the force different on two points by using one object?
try using torque idea (in this case moment is enough too)

I'm sorry. Perhaps you could clarify what you meant by torque. I haven't learned this concept in class yet and I tried looking it over the internet but I'm not sure how to apply the equation i found for torque (torque = r X F )

kiwikahuna said:
I'm not entirely sure what to do from this point because conceptually, I don't understand how one spring with a smaller spring constant can hold up a weight at the same level as the larger spring constant.
Note that it tells you that both springs are stretched equally. Call the unknown stretch "X". What force does each spring exert? What must the total force from both springs equal?

ahhh...
3.2X + 6.6X =30

therefore X = 3.06 cm

Is this the right way to go about it?

You got it.

1. How do you solve a parallel spring system with a 30N weight?

Solving a parallel spring system with a 30N weight involves using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that the force exerted by each spring in the system can be calculated by multiplying its spring constant by its displacement. The total force exerted by the system can then be calculated by adding the individual forces of each spring together.

2. What is the formula for calculating the force exerted by a spring?

The formula for calculating the force exerted by a spring is F = kx, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position in meters.

3. How do you determine the spring constant for a spring?

The spring constant can be determined by conducting an experiment where the displacement of the spring is measured for different applied forces. The spring constant can then be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement.

4. What is the equilibrium position in a parallel spring system?

The equilibrium position in a parallel spring system is the point where all of the springs are at rest and there is no net force acting on the weight. This is where the displacement is equal to zero and the force exerted by each spring is balanced.

5. Can the spring constant of a spring change?

Yes, the spring constant of a spring can change depending on the material, length, and thickness of the spring. It can also be affected by temperature and elasticity. In some cases, the spring constant may also change as the spring is stretched or compressed.