The sum over primes involving powers of 10

• Thread starter Klaus_Hoffmann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the prime calculating expression \sum_{p} 10^{-p}=S, where S is the sum of all prime numbers. The person asks if there is an efficient algorithm to calculate primes using an accelerating process for the series, similar to Euler transformation or Euler-Laurin sum formula. However, the other person mentions that the value for S seems to be incorrect and that calculating primes through this method would not be as efficient as other methods such as the Prime Number Theorem. They also clarify that S can only be calculated if the primes have already been determined.
Klaus_Hoffmann
recently i saw on a book (Apostol Analytic Number theory if i am not wrong) the prime calculating expression [tex] \sum_{p} 10^{-p}=S [/tex]

where the sum was extended to all the prime numbers, if i am right

[tex] S=0.2003000500007.... [/tex]

so knowing the value of 'S' you could get the primes, hence here is my questions if we knew an 'accelerating' process for the series above in a similar way to Euler transformation or Euler-Laurin sum formula, could we get an efficient algorithm to calculate primes?.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your value for S seems to be a bit troubled >.< The only digits one should see are 1's and 0's. I get around [itex]0.0110101000101001[/itex]. And no, it wouldn't be as efficient as other methods such as the Prime Number Theorem, and that's not great either but that says that [itex]p_n[/itex]~[itex] n \log_e n[/itex] where p_n denotes the nth prime number.

Usually these things are calculated from the primes, not the other way around. Which is to say that S can only be calculated to the extent we have already determined the primes.

1. What is the sum over primes involving powers of 10?

The sum over primes involving powers of 10 is a mathematical concept that involves finding the sum of all prime numbers that can be expressed as a power of 10. This sum is typically denoted as S(10) and is an infinite sum due to the infinite number of prime numbers.

2. How is the sum over primes involving powers of 10 calculated?

The sum over primes involving powers of 10 is calculated using a mathematical formula known as the Euler-Mascheroni constant. This formula takes into account the distribution of prime numbers and their corresponding powers of 10 to find the sum.

3. What is the significance of the sum over primes involving powers of 10?

The significance of this sum lies in its relationship to the distribution of prime numbers. By studying this sum, mathematicians can gain insights into the patterns and properties of prime numbers, which have long been a topic of interest in mathematics.

4. Is there a closed-form expression for the sum over primes involving powers of 10?

No, there is currently no known closed-form expression for this sum. However, mathematicians have been able to approximate the value of S(10) using advanced mathematical techniques and algorithms.

5. What are the practical applications of the sum over primes involving powers of 10?

While this sum may not have direct practical applications, it serves as a valuable tool for furthering our understanding of prime numbers and their distribution. This knowledge can then be applied to various fields such as cryptography, number theory, and computer science.