What is the half-life and the error on the half-life?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the half-life of a beta emitter sample, given a certain number of counts over a period of time. The solution involves calculating the mean lifetime tau and then using it to find the half-life using a formula. The conversation also touches on calculating the error in the half-life, which can be done experimentally using counting statistics. The conversation ends with a request for advice and a reference to a related thread.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

You have a kilogram sample of a beta emitter and you want to establish its
half-life. You measure 100 counts over the period of a day. What is the half-life and
the error on the half-life? How would your answer be different if did a measurement
for the same material but only for one hour?

2. The attempt at a solution
To calculate the half life do i calculate the mean lifetime tau, first?

In that case [tex] \tau = 864 s/decay [/tex]
i got this by dividing the number of counts 100/time in seconds for 1 day

we can calculate the half life now using [tex] t_{1/2} = \tau \ln 2[/tex]

How would i calculate the error in th half life though?
Experimentally we could calculate it like this: the smallest unit of measurement of time we have is 1s so the error in the measurement of time is 0.5s. Also the error in the counting C was 0.5 counts/sec Then we can calculate the error in the lifetime as follows
[tex] \frac{\Delta \tau}{\tau} = \frac{\Delta C}{C} + \frac{\Delta t}{t} [/tex]
which becomes
[tex] \Delta \tau = 436 s [/tex]

But that is way too big isn't it? What have i done wrong? Please help!

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
So can anyone offer any advice on this one?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94380

Look up counting statistics. I don't have any references on hand.

this question is fine thanks

i just figured it out

whats more important to me in any case is the particles in a tube thread

What is the half-life?

The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive atoms in a sample to decay. It is a characteristic property of a specific isotope and is not affected by external factors such as temperature or pressure.

How is the half-life determined?

The half-life of a radioactive isotope is determined through experiments that measure the rate of decay of a sample over time. This data is then used to calculate the amount of time it would take for half of the original sample to decay.

What does the half-life tell us?

The half-life of a radioactive isotope can tell us how stable or unstable the isotope is, as well as the rate at which it decays. It is also used to determine the age of a sample or the rate of radioactive decay in a specific material or substance.

What is the error on the half-life?

The error on the half-life is the amount of uncertainty in the measurement of the half-life. This can be caused by various factors such as experimental error or natural variations in the sample. It is typically expressed as a percentage or a range of values.

How does the half-life affect the stability of an isotope?

The half-life of an isotope is directly related to its stability. A longer half-life indicates a more stable isotope, meaning it will decay at a slower rate and have a longer lifespan. Conversely, a shorter half-life indicates an unstable isotope that will decay at a faster rate.