What is the current due to the circulation of the u quark?

In summary, the neutron has a nonzero magnetic moment with z-component 9.66 * 10^-27 A*m^2. This can be explained by the internal structure of the neutron, which is composed of three fundamental particles called quarks.
jhfrey89

Homework Statement

The neutron is a particle with zero charge. Nonetheless, it has a nonzero magnetic moment with z-component 9.66 * 10^-27 A*m^2. This can be explained by the internal structure of the neutron. A substantial body of evidence indicates that a neutron is composed of three fundamental particles called quarks: an "up" (u) quark, of charge +2e/3, and two "down" (d) quarks, each of charge - e/3. The combination of the three quarks produces a net charge of 2e/3-e/3-e/3=0. If the quarks are in motion, they can produce a nonzero magnetic moment. As a very simple model, suppose the u quark moves in a counterclockwise circular path and the d quarks move in a clockwise, circular path, all of radius r and all with the same speed v.

Determine the current due to the circulation of the u quark.

Homework Equations

I would imagine...

qv x B = F, Il x B = F, IA x B = torque...

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a complete loss. I'm not even sure how a current can be produced if there's no wire for there to be a current produced in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Current is the rate at which electric charge moves. This doesn't refer only to the current in a wire.

Simply

T = 2 pi r/v
I = dq/dt = delta q/delta t here
is there any chnage in q for a quark? nope!
so,
i = q(quark) v/2 pi r (since we are interested in the period - that is the time change)

Let pi = (PI) and q = q of quark

I = QV/(2(PI)r)

the rest is very easy having in mind the above. the question that is quite hard and not obvious here is since i = dq/dt ... what is the change of q and what is the change of t around one circulation? simply the charge doesn't change, so it's a constant, and the period is the time change .. imagine as a kind of a sine wave, except in reality this model does not meet all the specifications provided by the neutron characteristics. but it's a close enough start up approximation.

What is the Quark Model of the Neutron?

The Quark Model of the Neutron is a theoretical model that describes the structure of a neutron as composed of three quarks, specifically two down quarks and one up quark.

How does the Quark Model explain the properties of the neutron?

The Quark Model explains the properties of the neutron by describing how the quarks interact with each other through the strong nuclear force. This model also explains the neutron's mass, spin, and magnetic moment.

What evidence supports the Quark Model of the Neutron?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the Quark Model of the Neutron, including experimental results from particle accelerators and scattering experiments. Additionally, the model is consistent with other theories such as quantum chromodynamics.

Are there different versions of the Quark Model?

Yes, there are different versions of the Quark Model, such as the constituent quark model and the quark model based on the Standard Model of particle physics. These versions have slight variations in their approaches, but all are based on the same fundamental principles.

What are the limitations of the Quark Model of the Neutron?

The Quark Model of the Neutron is a simplified and idealized representation of the neutron's structure. It does not take into account the effects of the quarks' motion and the gluons that bind them together. Additionally, the model does not explain the phenomenon of quark confinement, where quarks cannot exist as free particles.