Finding Extreme x-Values on a Parabola

In summary, the problem asks to find the coordinates of points on a parabola with extreme x-values. To do this, implicit differentiation can be used to find the points where the derivative is 0. The resulting points can then be substituted into the original equation to find the coordinates.
avr10

Homework Statement

The parabola [tex] 9x^{2} + 24xy + 16y^{2} + 20x - 15y = 0 [/tex] has vertex at the origin. Find the coordinates of the points on the parabola that have extreme x-values

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To start off, I don't quite understand the question. What does it mean for points on a parabola to have an extreme x-value? Don't parabolas extend til infinity in the x-direction? I thought about implicitly differentiating and going after the min/max values using the first derivative, but I don't see how that's going to answer the question. Someone have an idea? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Parabolas that have axis of symmetry parallel to the y-axis are unbounded in x but not y. Because of the "xy" term, this parabola is at an angle to the axes and may be bounded in both x and y. Since you want to find the "extreme x" values, you want to think of x as a function of y. Differentiate x with respect to y using implicit differentiation.

It means find the points on the parabola corresponding to x maxima and minima. One of these is infinite. Go with implicit differentiation and find the points.

Thanks guys; I implicitly differentiated and found that [tex]\frac {dx}{dy} = \frac {15 - 32y}{18x + 44} [/tex]. I used this to say that when the denominator is 0, namely when x is -44/18, x is an extreme. Does this sound right?

Try doing the differentiation again. Remember you are taking the derivative w.r.t. y, assuming x is a function of y. Please don't forget to use the product rule.

Set the derivative to 0 and solve for x or y. Then put back into the original equation to find the points.

1. What are extreme points on a parabola?

Extreme points on a parabola are the points where the curve changes direction, either from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. These points are also known as the vertex of the parabola.

2. How do you find the extreme points on a parabola?

To find the extreme points on a parabola, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. This will give you the x-coordinate of the vertex. To find the y-coordinate, plug in the x-coordinate into the equation and solve for y.

3. What is the significance of the extreme points on a parabola?

The extreme points on a parabola are important because they give us information about the shape and orientation of the parabola. They also help us to find the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function.

4. Can a parabola have more than one extreme point?

No, a parabola can only have one extreme point, also known as the vertex. This is because the parabola is a symmetrical curve and it can only change direction at one point.

5. How do extreme points on a parabola relate to real-world situations?

The extreme points on a parabola can be used to model real-world situations, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the profit function of a business. They help us to determine the maximum or minimum value of a certain variable in these situations.