Potential Elastic Energy & Kinetic Energy

In summary, the problem involves a mass of 8.0 kg hitting a spring with a K coefficient of 250 N/m at a speed of 5.0 m/s. Using the equations for elastic energy and kinetic energy, the distance traveled by the mass after hitting the spring is calculated to be 0.8 meters. However, there is a discrepancy with the given answer of 0.89 meters, which may be due to a mistake in indicating the formula for elastic energy or the possibility of additional factors such as gravity or friction. The conversation ends with clarification on the correct formula for elastic energy and the understanding that the answer is likely for a horizontal and frictionless scenario.
nvez
[RESOLVED] Potential Elastic Energy & Kinetic Energy

Homework Statement

A mass of 8.0 kg arrives at a spring, with the K coefficent (constante de rappel in french) of 250 N/m with a speed of 5.0 m/s It hits the spring and returns in the other way.

Homework Equations

[tex]E= 1/2mv^{2}[/tex]
[tex]E= 1/2Kx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E_{before}=E_{after}[/tex]
[tex]1/2mv^{2} = 1/2Kx[/tex]
[tex](1/2)(8)(5)^{2} = (1/2)(250)x[/tex]
[tex](1/2)(8)(5)^{2} = (1/2)(250)x[/tex]
[tex]100 = 125x[/tex]
[tex]100/125 = x[/tex]
[tex]0.8 = x[/tex]

This gives me a distance of 0.8 meters, I have indicated that the answer was 0.89 meters, now I am not sure if I mistakingly indicated 0.89meters or I made a mistake at some point.

I appreciate your help in advanced.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this is vertically dropped then there is the additional PE from gravity that needs to be accounted for in the potential energy transferred to the spring.

Namely you have

½mv² + mgx = ½kx²

LowlyPion said:
If this is vertically dropped then there is the additional PE from gravity that needs to be accounted for in the potential energy transferred to the spring.

Namely you have

½mv² + mgx = ½kx²

Thank you for your help so far.

I believe the formula for elastic energy that we learned is ½kx and not ½kx² but anyhow.

I have tried with both formulas and did not get an answer closer to the 0.89 written answer, it also did not indicate at any point that it was horizontally dropped and there was nothing about gravity or any friction therefore there is none.

I apologize in advance for any french-ized terms but I study physics in french so I try my best to translate this to english.

If it is horizontal and frictionless then there is a straight conversion of Kinetic to Potential energy at maximum detent.

If it is vertical then there is the additional change in gravitational potential over the distance of the detent.

If you know the answer is .89 then it is horizontal and frictionless.

½*8*52 = 100 = ½*250*x2

x2 = 100/125 = .8

x = .89

Heh, I was writing the way on how I figured it out and you wrote it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I can't say how much I appreciate your help.

Here's how I did it step by step
[tex]1/2mv^{2} = 1/2Kx^{2}[/tex]
[tex](1/2)(8)(5)^{2} = (1/2)(250)x^{2}[/tex]
[tex]100 = 125x^{2}[/tex]
[tex]100/125 = x^{2}[/tex]
[tex]0.8 = x^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{0.8} = x[/tex]
[tex]0.89 = x[/tex]

1. What is potential elastic energy?

Potential elastic energy is the energy stored within an elastic material, such as a spring or rubber band, when it is stretched or compressed. This energy is a result of the potential to return to its original shape or position.

2. How is potential elastic energy calculated?

The formula for potential elastic energy is PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity.

4. How is potential elastic energy related to kinetic energy?

Potential elastic energy and kinetic energy are both forms of mechanical energy. When potential elastic energy is converted into kinetic energy, the object is in motion. This can occur when a compressed or stretched elastic material is released and returns to its original shape.

5. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. In the case of potential elastic energy and kinetic energy, the total energy remains constant as it is converted between the two forms.