Determine the base unit for the magnetic flux

In summary: IPhi= kg*m^2*s^-2 * A^-1Phi= kg*m^2*A^-1*s^-2In summary, the base unit for magnetic flux is kg*m^2*A^-1*s^-2.
aaron86

Homework Statement

The e.m.f E of a battery is given by [tex]E = \frac{P}{I}[/tex] where P is the power supplied from the battery when current I flows through it. An e.m.f. [tex]{E_c}[/tex] can also be induced in a coil when the magnetic flux, [tex]\Phi [/tex], associated with it changes with time, t, as expressed by [tex]{E_c} = \frac{{d\Phi }}{{dx}}[/tex]. Determine the base unit for the magnetic flux.

Answer is [tex]kg{m^2}{A^{ - 1}}{s^{ - 2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]E = \frac{P}{I} = \frac{{kg{m^2}{s^{ - 2}}}}{{A \cdot s}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate [tex]E = \frac{P}{I} = \frac{{kg{m^2}{s^{ - 2}}}}{{A \cdot s}}[/tex] but was stuck at getting the answer. Please help
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no need to integrate,just rearrange your equation to make phi the subject then insert the base units and tidy it up.

Power = workXtime= kg*m^2*s^-3
flux = Pxs/I.
Now find the final unit.

Flux=Px/I.You have the right units for P,x is s and I is A

Thanks for the replies, however, aren't we suppose to extract information that is provided by the question?

How do you guys deduce the answer from [tex]{E_c} = \frac{{d\Phi }}{{dx}}[/tex] ?

Phi=Ex

1. What is the base unit for magnetic flux?

The base unit for magnetic flux is the weber (Wb) in the International System of Units (SI). It is equivalent to one volt-second (V·s) and is defined as the magnetic flux that, when linked with a circuit of one turn, produces an electromotive force of one volt as it is reduced to zero at a uniform rate in one second.

2. How is the weber (Wb) defined?

The weber (Wb) is defined as the magnetic flux that, when linked with a circuit of one turn, produces an electromotive force of one volt as it is reduced to zero at a uniform rate in one second. It is also equivalent to one tesla-square meter (T·m2).

3. Can the weber (Wb) be converted to other units of magnetic flux?

Yes, the weber (Wb) can be converted to other units of magnetic flux. For example, 1 weber is equal to 10,000,000,000 nanowebers (nWb) or 0.000001 kilowebers (kWb).

4. How is the weber (Wb) related to the other base units of electromagnetism?

The weber (Wb) is related to the other base units of electromagnetism through their respective equations. For example, it is related to the base unit for electric current, the ampere (A), through the equation Wb = V·s = (kg·m2/s2) / A. It is also related to the base unit for magnetic field, the tesla (T), through the equation Wb = T·m2.

5. Why is the weber (Wb) chosen as the base unit for magnetic flux?

The weber (Wb) is chosen as the base unit for magnetic flux because it allows for a convenient and consistent measurement of magnetic flux in various contexts. It is also derived from fundamental physical quantities, making it a reliable and standardized unit of measurement in scientific research and engineering.