Proving that larger side corresponds to larger angle

• Thread starter Deviousfred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the largest side of a triangle corresponds to the largest angle of that triangle. This can be proven using the law of sines, which states that the ratio of a side length to the sine of its opposite angle is equal for all three sides. By comparing these ratios and using the fact that the sum of all angles in a triangle is 180 degrees, it can be shown that the largest angle in a triangle will always have the largest sine value, and therefore the largest side will correspond to the largest angle. This can also be proven geometrically by drawing a circle through the three vertices of the triangle.
Deviousfred
I was asked by one of my professors to prove for the class why the largest side of the tringle corresponds to the largest angle of that triangle.

I was thinking of using law of sines to do so. Please let me know if I am wrong so that I do not look like a fool in front of class.

My triangle is ABC with vertices/angles a,b, and c respectively.

I am saying that angle a is the largest in that triangle, so;

Quick notes: L is my representation for angle.
mLa > mLb > mLc.

Law of Sines:

sin(a)/BC = sin(b)/AC = sin(c)/AB

therefore;

AC*sin(a)=BC*sin(b),
AC*sin(c)=AB*sin(b),
AB*sin(a)=BC*sin(c).

so;

AC/BC = sin(b)/sin(a),
AC/AB = sin(b)/sin(c),
AB/BC = sin(c)/sin(a).

once again;

mLa > mLb > mLc.

therefore;

sin(a) > sin(b) > sin(c)

so if;

AC/BC = sin(b)/sin(a),
AC/AB = sin(b)/sin(c),
AB/BC = sin(c)/sin(a).

then;

AC < BC
AC > AB
AB < BC

so;

BC > AC > AB

I don't know if I need to write anything more down from here. Take it easy on my, I threw this together last night while ignoring my mother-in-law's boring story.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Deviousfred! :smile:

I'm not sure, but I think you've assumed that if A > B, then sinA > sinB, which isn't necessarily true if one of them is > 90º …

how will you deal with that case?

However, this sine theorem assumes rather a lot of prior geometry …

how about a proof involving drawing a circle through the three vertices of the triangle? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

I'm not sure, but I think you've assumed that if A > B, then sinA > sinB, which isn't necessarily true if one of them is > 90º …

how will you deal with that case?

However, this sine theorem assumes rather a lot of prior geometry …

how about a proof involving drawing a circle through the three vertices of the triangle? :wink:

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday but I came to this conclusion:

In a triangle all three sides add up to 180 degrees. If we were to have a triangle and let's say the largest angle is 120 degrees then the second largest angle could only be 60-1=59 degrees.

sin (120) > sin (59)

I did several other conditions with 170, 160, 150, 140, 130, 120, 110, and 100 degrees and all resulted in the same manner.

I came to the conclusion that in the case of a triangle, the sin of the largest angle will always be greater than the sin of both other angles (individually of course.) I'm sure there is a better way to say/show this but I do not know it yet.

I am very interested in your idea though. Before I ask you to show me let me take a stab at it.

Deviousfred said:
In a triangle all three sides add up to 180 degrees. If we were to have a triangle and let's say the largest angle is 120 degrees then the second largest angle could only be 60-1=59 degrees.

sin (120) > sin (59)

I did several other conditions with 170, 160, 150, 140, 130, 120, 110, and 100 degrees and all resulted in the same manner.

I came to the conclusion that in the case of a triangle, the sin of the largest angle will always be greater than the sin of both other angles (individually of course.) …

Yes … but why is sin (120) > sin (59)? … why is sin (170) > sin (9)? … etc …

you'll need a snappy reason to put before the class! :wink:

tiny-tim said:

Yes … but why is sin (120) > sin (59)? … why is sin (170) > sin (9)? … etc …

you'll need a snappy reason to put before the class! :wink:

I know, I'm trying right now to find a way to prove that without values.

Deviousfred said:
I know, I'm trying right now to find a way to prove that without values.

I know you know :biggrin:

I'm just encouraging you! :wink:

So I guess my new proof is:

Triangle ABC

If;
mLA > mLB > mLC

Prove;
sin A > sin B > sin C

I'm stumped.

ok … why, for example, is sin (120) > sin (59)?

because we chose 59 to be less than 180 - 120.

But sin120 = sin(180 - 120),

so all you have to prove is that if 59 < 180 - 120 then sin(59) < sin(180 - 120) :wink:

ok, I was ablt to prove it by other means using isoceles triangle and exterior angle inequality, but I'm hellbent on proving it this way.

What is the relationship between the size of a side and the size of its corresponding angle?

The larger the side, the larger the corresponding angle.

Why is it important to prove that larger side corresponds to larger angle?

Proving this relationship helps to understand the properties of angles and sides in geometric shapes, which is essential in solving various math and science problems.

What is the mathematical formula for proving that larger side corresponds to larger angle?

The mathematical formula is Side A > Side B, then Angle A > Angle B (where A and B are corresponding sides and angles).

How can I visually demonstrate the relationship between side and angle size?

You can use a protractor to measure the angles in a shape and compare them to the length of the corresponding sides. You can also use a ruler to measure the sides and compare their lengths to the angles.

Can this relationship be applied to all shapes?

Yes, this relationship applies to all shapes, as long as they have corresponding sides and angles.