Magnetic Monopoles: Exploring Existence & Impact

In summary, magnetic monopoles are theoretical objects that are predicted by some theories, but it is difficult to detect them because they only exist locally. The LHC at Cern could potentially be able to tell us if monopoles have existed in the past.
wam_mi
Can anyone explain to me why it would not be possible to write magnetic field (B) in terms of a vector potential (A) if magnetic monopoles exist please?

Why aren't there any magnetic monopoles? Why can't we find them? And Why do some physicists support the idea of the existence of magnetic monopoles?

Cheers guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first question comes from the fact that a magnetic monopole acts as a source of magnetic flux. This means that in the presence of a monopole we have to change one of Maxwell's equations:

[tex]\nabla\cdot \mathbf{B} = 0[/tex]

becomes

[tex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{B} = \rho[/tex], where [tex]\rho[/tex] represents the magnetic monopole, similar to a charge density.

But when we write [tex] \mathbf{B} [/tex] in terms of a vector potential we have the identity:

[tex]\mathbf{B} = \nabla\times\mathbf{A}[/tex]
[tex]\Longrightarrow \nabla\cdot\mathbf{B} = \nabla \cdot \nabla\times\mathbf{A} = 0[/tex]

That last statement is an identity in vector calculus. We might think that we can simply forget about the vector potential, but we cant. In quantum mechanics we really need the vector potential to handle the effect of an electromagnetic field on charged particles.

But as it turns out, this problem can be resolved. We can still work with the identity [tex]\mathbf{B} = \nabla\times\mathbf{A}[/tex], provided we only allow it to be valid locally, instead of globally. This is where things get quite interesting, but also a more complex (it leads for instance to a quantization argument of Dirac, which states that magnetic monopoles can only exist if both the magnetic and electric charges are quantized).

What makes magnetic monopoles so interesting is the fact that instanton solutions of Yang-Mills theory exists which indeed are predicted to be monopoles. Better yet, any Yang-Mills theory based on some compact Lie group (like SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)) in combination with a Higgs field (i.e. the Standard Model) predicts these monopoles. These are called 't Hooft-Polyakov monopoles.

Now there is some statement, but I'm not really sure of it, that when some symmetry breaking through the Higgs effect in YM-theory occurs you always end up with a bunch of magnetic monopoles. (but correct me if I'm wrong). Since this is pretty much how the Standard model works one might wonder where these monopoles are...

xepma said:
The first question comes from the fact that a magnetic monopole acts as a source of magnetic flux. This means that in the presence of a monopole we have to change one of Maxwell's equations:

[tex]\nabla\cdot \mathbf{B} = 0[/tex]

becomes

[tex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{B} = \rho[/tex], where [tex]\rho[/tex] represents the magnetic monopole, similar to a charge density.

But when we write [tex] \mathbf{B} [/tex] in terms of a vector potential we have the identity:

[tex]\mathbf{B} = \nabla\times\mathbf{A}[/tex]
[tex]\Longrightarrow \nabla\cdot\mathbf{B} = \nabla \cdot \nabla\times\mathbf{A} = 0[/tex]

That last statement is an identity in vector calculus. We might think that we can simply forget about the vector potential, but we cant. In quantum mechanics we really need the vector potential to handle the effect of an electromagnetic field on charged particles.

But as it turns out, this problem can be resolved. We can still work with the identity [tex]\mathbf{B} = \nabla\times\mathbf{A}[/tex], provided we only allow it to be valid locally, instead of globally. This is where things get quite interesting, but also a more complex (it leads for instance to a quantization argument of Dirac, which states that magnetic monopoles can only exist if both the magnetic and electric charges are quantized).

What makes magnetic monopoles so interesting is the fact that instanton solutions of Yang-Mills theory exists which indeed are predicted to be monopoles. Better yet, any Yang-Mills theory based on some compact Lie group (like SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)) in combination with a Higgs field (i.e. the Standard Model) predicts these monopoles. These are called 't Hooft-Polyakov monopoles.

Now there is some statement, but I'm not really sure of it, that when some symmetry breaking through the Higgs effect in YM-theory occurs you always end up with a bunch of magnetic monopoles. (but correct me if I'm wrong). Since this is pretty much how the Standard model works one might wonder where these monopoles are...

First of all, thank you for your reply!

That all sounds very interesting. But if magnetic monopoles are predicted in the present theories, what makes it so difficult for the detection of a single monopole?
Would the LHC in Cern be able to tell us perhaps magnetic monopoles have existed with the condition similar to the early age of the univerese?

Sorry I don't know much about the subject, but I am eager to find out more because I think monopoles are one of the most fundamental objects we've ever encountered.

Thanks a lot

1. What are magnetic monopoles?

Magnetic monopoles are hypothetical particles that have a single magnetic pole, either a north or south pole, unlike regular magnets which have both poles. They are predicted by some theories in physics, but have not yet been observed in experiments.

2. How do magnetic monopoles impact our world?

Magnetic monopoles could potentially have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. If they exist, they could help explain certain phenomena, such as the origins of magnetic fields and the differences between matter and antimatter. They could also have practical applications in technology, such as in the development of more efficient motors and generators.

3. How do scientists search for magnetic monopoles?

Scientists search for magnetic monopoles through a variety of methods, including high-energy particle accelerators, underground experiments, and astrophysical observations. These approaches involve looking for unique signatures or effects that could indicate the presence of a magnetic monopole.

4. What challenges do scientists face in their search for magnetic monopoles?

One major challenge is that magnetic monopoles, if they exist, are expected to be extremely rare and difficult to detect. Additionally, their properties and behavior are not well understood, making it challenging to design experiments to specifically search for them. Theoretical and technological advancements are needed to overcome these challenges.

5. What are the potential implications if magnetic monopoles are discovered?

If magnetic monopoles are discovered, it would be a groundbreaking discovery in the field of physics. It could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and open up new avenues for technological innovation. It could also spur further research and investigations into the properties and behavior of these enigmatic particles.