Could you hold a super string?

• Thread starter computergeek6933
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of holding a superstring to prevent it from vibrating, and the potential consequences of this action. It is mentioned that according to string theory, nonvibrating strings can exist, but it is also argued that vibrating strings are what give particles their properties. The conversation also mentions the existence of nonvibrating tachyonic states.
computergeek6933
Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I have merely one quetsion... if one were to "hold" a superstring, that is, to prevent it from vibrating, what would happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it would cease to exist. AIUI, superstrings are made of nothing other than their own vibration. At least, that's the most popular theory ATM.

EDIT: Welcome to the Forums!

Originally posted by LURCH
I believe it would cease to exist.

String theory allows massless nonvibrating strings.

Originally posted by jeff
String theory allows massless nonvibrating strings.

I have never heard that before. Not to hijack the Topic, but now I simply must know more.

I thought string theory proposed that all of the properties that constitute "existance" i.e. mass, charge, spin, et al were caused by the vibration. If a superstring is not vibrating it ceases to have any properties, does it not? If it has no properties, how can it be said to exist?

String mass and transformation properties under spacetime supersymmetry (i.e. "spin") have a dependence on vibrational degrees of freedom while yang-mills charges don't, they simply sit at the ends of open strings.

The ground states of the R-sector (Ramond sector) of the unoriented type I open plus closed superstring theory, and the R-R sector in the type IIA and IIB superstring theories are massless string states that include no vibrational modes.

There are also nonvibrating tachyonic states.

Last edited:

1. What is a super string?

A super string is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests that all particles in the universe are composed of extremely tiny, vibrating strings. It is a key component of string theory, which aims to unify the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. Can a super string be held by a human?

No, a super string is an incredibly small and elusive concept that cannot be physically held or observed by humans. It exists only in the realm of theoretical physics.

3. How is a super string different from a regular string?

A super string is vastly different from a regular string. While a regular string is a physical object with length and width, a super string is a one-dimensional object that is smaller than an atom and cannot be seen or touched.

4. What is the significance of super strings?

The concept of super strings has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. If proven to be true, it could provide a unified theory of everything and offer insights into the nature of space, time, and matter.

5. How are super strings studied and tested?

Since super strings are too small to be observed or manipulated, scientists rely on mathematical models and experiments involving high-energy particle collisions to study and test the concept. However, due to their elusive nature, super strings have yet to be definitively proven or observed in the physical world.