Proving Equivalence of Operations on Equivalence Classes

In summary, the statement proves that if two pairs of numbers are equivalent, their sum and product will also be equivalent. This is shown by the definitions of addition and multiplication for equivalence classes and the given equations for ~. The proof follows by writing out the definitions and simplifying using the equations.
mossfan563

Homework Statement

Prove that if (a1, b1) ~ (a2, b2) and (c1, d1) ~ (c2, d2), then (a1, b1) + (c1, d1) ~ (a2, b2) + (c2, d2)
and (a1, b1) [tex]\bullet[/tex] (c1, d1) ~ (a2, b2)[tex]\bullet[/tex] (c2, d2).
Let [a, b] denote the equivalence class with respect to ~ of (a, b) in Z x (Z-{0}), and define Q to be the set of equivalence classes of Z x (Z-{0}).
For all [a, b], [c, d] in Q define [a, b] + [c, d] = [(a, b) + (c, d)] and [a, b][tex]\bullet[/tex] [c, d] = [(a, b) (c, d)]; these definitions make sense, i.e., they do not depend on the choice of representatives.

Homework Equations

(a, b) + (c, d) = (ad + bc, bd) and (a, b) [tex]\bullet[/tex] (c, d) = (ac, bd)
(a, b) ~ (c, d) if and only if ad = bc

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using those definitions.
I know you have to assume that (a1, b1) ~ (a2, b2) and (c1, d1) ~ (c2, d2).
But I get stuck afterwards. Where do I go from there? Do I need something more?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prove that if (a1, b1) ~ (a2, b2) and (c1, d1) ~ (c2, d2), then (a1, b1) + (c1, d1) ~ (a2, b2) + (c2, d2)
and (a1, b1) * (c1, d1) ~ (a2, b2) * (c2, d2).

Are you asking how to prove this?

Write down what (a1, b1) ~ (a2, b2) means and what (c1, d1) ~ (c2, d2) means; these are given.

Write down what (a1, b1) + (c1, d1) is, what (a2, b2) + (c2, d2) is, and then what (a1, b1) + (c1, d1) ~ (a2, b2) + (c2, d2) means. This is what you must prove. The proof practically writes itself once you write down what these statements mean.

Repeat for *, which may require a tiny trick.

Write out your work for us and ask questions if you get stuck.

1. What is an equivalence class?

An equivalence class is a set of objects or elements that are considered equivalent or indistinguishable based on a specific equivalence relation. This relation can be defined as a set of rules or properties that determine whether two elements belong to the same equivalence class.

2. How is equivalence class proof used in mathematics?

Equivalence class proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that two objects or elements belong to the same equivalence class by showing that they satisfy the same equivalence relation. It is commonly used in abstract algebra, number theory, and other branches of mathematics.

3. What are the steps involved in an equivalence class proof?

The steps involved in an equivalence class proof typically include defining the equivalence relation, showing that it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive, and then using these properties to prove that the two elements under consideration belong to the same equivalence class.

4. Can an equivalence class proof be used to disprove equality?

No, an equivalence class proof cannot be used to disprove equality. It can only be used to prove that two elements are equivalent or belong to the same equivalence class based on a given equivalence relation. To disprove equality, a counterexample or a different proof technique would need to be used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of equivalence class proof?

Yes, equivalence class proof has various real-world applications, such as in computer science for testing software, in economics for studying consumer preferences, and in linguistics for analyzing language syntax. It is also used in statistics for testing hypotheses and in graph theory for determining isomorphism between graphs.