How Does Taylor's Theorem Apply to Logarithmic Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Taylor's theorem with the Lagrange remainder to show that log(1+x) can be represented by the infinite series \sum^{\infty}_{k=1}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}x^{k} for 0<x<1. Then, the application of Taylor's theorem to log(1-x) is explored to show that the same result holds for -1<x<0. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the problem and requesting help.
kidsmoker

Homework Statement

(a) Use Taylor's theorem with the Lagrange remainder to show that

[tex]log(1+x) = \sum^{\infty}_{k=1}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}x^{k}[/tex]

for 0<x<1.

(b) Now apply Taylor's theorem to log(1-x) to show that the above result holds for -1<x<0.

Homework Equations

Taylor's theorem w/ Lagrange remainder:

[tex]f(x) = \sum^{n}_{k=0}\frac{(x-a)^{k}}{k!}f^{(k)}(a) + R(n,x)[/tex]

where

[tex]R(n,x) = \frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}f^{(n+1)}(t)[/tex]

for some t in (0,x).

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to have done part (a) okay by just writing it all out and then showing that the remainder tends to zero as n tends to infinity.

Then when I do the same thing with log(1-x) I get

[tex]log(1-x) = \sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{-1}{k}x^{k} + \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n+1}}{(n+1)(t-1)^{n+1}}[/tex]

for some t in (0,x). But we're considering the case here were 0<x<1, so the denominator in the remainder will be between -1 and 0. Consequently, as n tends to infinity, this part will tend to zero and the fraction as a whole will tend to infinity. I've checked my working a few times and tried fiddling about with different methods, including trying the Cauchy remainder, but I can't seem to show that R->0 as n->inf.

Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the magnitude of

[tex]\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n+1}}{(n+1)(t-1)^{n+1}}[/tex]

and work to replace the (t-1) with x. Just keep in mind that x and t are both (0,1).

Last edited:

Dear student,

First of all, great job on part (a) of the problem! You have correctly applied Taylor's theorem with the Lagrange remainder to show that the given series converges to log(1+x) for 0<x<1. Now, for part (b), there seems to be some confusion regarding the remainder term. In your attempt, you have written the remainder term as:

R(n,x) = \frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}f^{(n+1)}(t)

However, the correct form of the remainder term for Taylor's theorem with the Lagrange remainder is:

R(n,x) = \frac{(x-a)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}f^{(n+1)}(t)

where t is a number between a and x. In this case, a = 0 and x is between -1 and 0. So, we can write:

R(n,x) = \frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}f^{(n+1)}(t)

for some t in (-1,x). This means that the denominator of the remainder term will always be negative since x is negative. Therefore, as n tends to infinity, the remainder term will tend to zero since the numerator will also be negative. This shows that the given series also converges to log(1-x) for -1<x<0.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. It is used to approximate the behavior of a function near a certain point.

2. How is a Taylor series used in mathematics?

A Taylor series can be used to find the value of a function at a point where it is difficult to evaluate directly. It can also be used to approximate the behavior of a function in a certain interval, and to find the derivatives of a function at a point.

3. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a generalization of a Maclaurin series, which is a special case where the point of expansion is at x=0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series centered at 0.

4. How is a Taylor series calculated?

A Taylor series is calculated by taking the derivatives of a function at a specific point and plugging them into the formula: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)/2!)(x-a)^2 + (f'''(a)/3!)(x-a)^3 + ...

5. What is the importance of a Taylor series in real-world applications?

A Taylor series is useful in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and economics. It allows us to approximate the behavior of a function and make predictions based on a limited amount of information. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth curves and surfaces.