How Should a Constant Force Affect an Acceleration-Time Graph?

• Thread starter Physicshelpneeded
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the conversation discusses acceleration/time graphs and the difficulty of a seemingly easy question involving a toy car moving along a horizontal line with a constant force. The task is to sketch the acceleration/time graph, and the group discusses the correct answer being a straight and horizontal line above the zero mark due to the constant net force and mass.
Physicshelpneeded
Acceleration/time graphs!

Hey all...

I'm having tons of trouble with what seems to be an extremely easy question. :mad:

The question portrays a toy car...which can move in either direction along a horizontal line (the + position axis) The car is given a large force toward the right of constant magnitude is applied to the car. (it says to assume that friction is so small that it can be ignored).

The task is to sketch on an acceleration/time graph a solid line caused by the applied large force.

My guess was that the graph would look like a perfectly straight line somewhere above zero...but I am usually always wrong about this kind of thing :cry:

Can anyone help me? Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a constant net force, and a constant mass, what do you think the acceleration would be like? Calculate the acceleration of the object for a few different points in time if you need to. The actual calculation won't be important, the important part will be realizing that the actual calculation isn't important. ;)

im turning in my homework with the answer to this as a solid, STRAIGHT, and HORIZONTAL line above the zero mark...

just curious - did i get it right? :) ...or wrong? :uhh:

Right. F = ma you said the force was constant, we know the mass is constant, thus the acceleration must be constant as well.

1. What is an acceleration/time graph?

An acceleration/time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between acceleration and time. It shows how an object's acceleration changes over a specific period of time.

2. How do you interpret an acceleration/time graph?

The slope of an acceleration/time graph represents the object's acceleration at a specific point in time. A steeper slope indicates a larger acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration.

3. What does a flat line on an acceleration/time graph indicate?

A flat line on an acceleration/time graph indicates that the object is moving at a constant velocity, meaning there is no change in its acceleration over time.

4. How can you calculate the acceleration from an acceleration/time graph?

The acceleration can be calculated by finding the slope of the graph at a specific point. This can be done by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

5. What factors can affect the shape of an acceleration/time graph?

The shape of an acceleration/time graph can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity of the object, the direction of the acceleration, and any external forces acting on the object.