Advice on Choosing a CAS - Mathematica, Maple, Derive, Matlab

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a CAS (computer algebra system) for learning. The individual is interested in learning calculus in the short term and is asking for advice on which CAS to choose. It is suggested to use a scientific calculator for calculus, but if interested in learning a CAS in general, Maple is recommended due to its open-source algorithms. Other open-source alternatives for numerical tasks, such as Octave and Scilab, are also suggested. These programs are known for their capabilities in linear algebra and graphing. It is also mentioned that using a computer for numerical calculations is the main purpose of a CAS and not essential for learning calculus.
agro
I'm planning to learn a CAS. Can you guys give me advice on what I should choose (Mathematica, Maple, Derive, Matlab, or maybe others)?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to do with this knowledge you plan to learn? Calculus? Stats? Linear Algebra?

In the short term, calculus...

You don't need a CAS for calculus. A scientific calculator will do fine, however, if you want to learn a CAS in general, I'd pick Maple.

Maple releases all their algorithms to the general public, but Mathematica does not.

If the symbolic functions aren't essential, I'll suggest a few open-source altenatives: octave and scilab. Both, octave and scilab, use Matlab-like syntax. Octave and scilab are more for doing numerical tasks, rather than evaluating an integral symbolically.

octave and scilab are great for doing linear algebra tasks: eigenvalues, matrice operations, and such. I've solved a few ODE's and PDE's numerically on them for fun. octave is a rather modular application. It supports writing programs or "external" functions in Java, C, and C++, in addition to its on C-like language. Octave is totally GPL'd, whereas scilab is nondistributable but open-source (?).

scilab and octave support graphing, also. Octave interfaces with an application called "gnuplot", which supports all the methods of graphing that the propiertary CAS's (Mathematica, Maple, etc.) support. I'm not as familiar with scilab but it uses something *very* similar to gnuplot. I actually like the plotting features of scilab slightly better than those of gnuplot. Scilab supports real-time rotations and zooming, whereas gnuplot does not. Mathematica doesn't either.

Learning how to use the computer for numerical calculations is all what the computer is about; I find the CAS to be pointless.

Last edited:

1. Which CAS is the most user-friendly?

This is a subjective question as different users may have different preferences and levels of experience with different CAS. However, in general, Mathematica and Maple are considered to be more user-friendly due to their intuitive interfaces and extensive documentation.

2. Which CAS is the most powerful?

All four CAS - Mathematica, Maple, Derive, and Matlab - are powerful software with strong mathematical capabilities. However, Matlab is specifically designed for numerical and scientific computing, making it the go-to choice for many engineers and scientists.

3. Which CAS is the most cost-effective?

Again, this depends on individual needs and budget. Mathematica and Matlab are both commercial software and can be quite expensive, while Maple and Derive have more affordable versions for students and academic institutions. However, all four CAS have free trial versions available for users to test and explore.

4. Which CAS is best for specific mathematical tasks?

Each CAS has its own strengths and capabilities, so it's important to consider what tasks you need the software for. Mathematica and Maple are more versatile and can handle a wide range of mathematical tasks, while Derive is specifically designed for calculus and algebra, and Matlab is best for numerical and scientific computing.

5. Can I use multiple CAS together?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple CAS together. For example, you can use Mathematica or Maple for symbolic calculations and then transfer the results to Matlab for numerical computations. Some CAS also have built-in connections with each other, allowing for seamless integration between different software.