Dirty Bombs: The History and Potential Impact of Radioactive Weapons

• Thread starter quarkman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, this article worries me because it is so easy for someone to steal radioactive material and make a bomb with it. I think it is important to be aware of this issue and to take precautions to protect ourselves.
quarkman
I ask this question in lieu of the recent thread on the Manhattan Project and the problems with terrorism and wars currently going on around the world. I have read the article "Illicit Trafficking of Weapons-Usable Nuclear Material" in the July 2004 APS NEWS (Back Page) and I am concerned that this type of material appears this easy to steal and sell on the black market. The article cites poor knowledge of radioactive materials and fear of embarassment as factors (among other things) which aid this theft. I wonder how easily this stuff could be made into a bomb and how this could relate to a "dirty bomb" which I hear mentioned in the news a whole lot lately. Does anyone have good links for info on dirty bombs and nuclear theft? I hate to trust what I read in the paper and in non-scientific print media, as well as on television. The article above seems to think that innacurate media attention is part of the problem anyway. Thanks for any info.

-D

Physics news on Phys.org
Dirty bomb. All you need is something radioactive (like enough to harm people) and a conventional explosive afaik.

Hmmmm...Now if weapons grade material is as easy to steal as the aforementioned article makes it appear, then it must be pretty easy to get your hands on some radioactive waste. This is disheartening! Hopefully "waste" is not that harmful and the press just makes it sound real dangerous. I know little about the harmfulness of radioactive waste, but I would think you could blow other stuff up, like toxic gas to much greater adverse effects on people. And my friends wonder why I hide in my "physics hole" with books and a pencil, the world is so sucky right now :grumpy:

quarkman said:
I ask this question in lieu of the recent thread on the Manhattan Project and the problems with terrorism and wars currently going on around the world. I have read the article "Illicit Trafficking of Weapons-Usable Nuclear Material" in the July 2004 APS NEWS (Back Page) and I am concerned that this type of material appears this easy to steal and sell on the black market. The article cites poor knowledge of radioactive materials and fear of embarassment as factors (among other things) which aid this theft. I wonder how easily this stuff could be made into a bomb and how this could relate to a "dirty bomb" which I hear mentioned in the news a whole lot lately. Does anyone have good links for info on dirty bombs and nuclear theft? I hate to trust what I read in the paper and in non-scientific print media, as well as on television. The article above seems to think that innacurate media attention is part of the problem anyway. Thanks for any info.

-D
It would be hard to make an effective dirty bomb without putting yourself at risk as well. But even an ineffective dirty bomb would have a pretty big emotional impact. I know I wouldn't buy property there afterward.

In the 'weapons' categories, this kind of 'dirty' bomb has a long history, dating back to the days of catapults. Except, obviously, they didn't have the technology to launch radioactive material. They had to resort to launching rotting horse or cattle carcasses that ripened in the sun for a few days. That was sure to lower morale on the other side for awhile. :yuck:

What is nuclear theft?

Nuclear theft refers to the illegal acquisition of nuclear material, such as weapons-grade uranium or plutonium, by individuals or groups. This material can then potentially be used to create a nuclear bomb or a dirty bomb.

What is a dirty bomb?

A dirty bomb, also known as a radiological dispersal device, is a conventional explosive device that is combined with radioactive material. The explosion of the bomb would disperse the radioactive material, causing contamination and potential health hazards.

How likely is it for nuclear material to be stolen?

It is difficult to accurately determine the likelihood of nuclear theft, as it is a highly secretive and underground operation. However, according to experts, the threat of nuclear theft is considered to be low but the consequences of a successful theft could be catastrophic.

What are the potential consequences of a dirty bomb attack?

The potential consequences of a dirty bomb attack can vary depending on the amount and type of radioactive material used, as well as the location of the attack. The immediate effects could include injuries and fatalities from the explosion, while the long-term effects could include contamination of the surrounding area and long-term health risks for those exposed to radiation.

How can we prevent nuclear theft and dirty bomb attacks?

There are various measures in place to prevent nuclear theft and dirty bomb attacks, including strict security protocols for nuclear material, international treaties and agreements, and surveillance and intelligence gathering. Additionally, promoting global nuclear disarmament and reducing the availability of nuclear material can also help prevent these threats.