What is the connection between cone sensitivities and the perception of violet?

• Medical
  • Thread starter hl_world
  • Start date
In summary, violet is the color we get when only the blue cones are stimulated. There is no "octave" effect with light where 400nm light shares properties with 800nm (near IR) light and the red cones also pick up photons giving a purple color.
hl_world
Is violet the colour we get when only the blue cones are stimulated or is there some sort of "octave" effect with light where 400nm light shares properties with 800nm (near IR) light and the red cones also pick up photons giving a purple colour?

Biology news on Phys.org
There are no octaves in seeing. Our brain doesn't store the information about tones the same way it does color.

Dogs were actually found to store smell similar to the way we store tones.

Thanks. So makes ρ cones sensitive to shorter wavelengths and why doesn't this show in spectral sensitivity charts as a 2nd peak?

Normalized response spectra of human cones, S, M, and L types, to monochromatic spectral stimuli, with wavelength given in nanometers.

it would take more digging than i want to do, but normalized means that you shouldn't assume that each of those response curves has the same amplitude. also, given that those curves appear roughly gaussian ("bell" curve), the sum should also be gaussian. and indeed, the spectral response is roughly gaussian, [STRIKE]with slight weighting towards blue.[/STRIKE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eyesensitivity.png

edit: hmm, i dunno. looking at area under the curve, it appears that there is more area under the curve to the right of the peak. which i guess makes more sense with two receptors on that side.

Last edited:
hl_world said:
Well I prefer a graph like this:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CVonline/LOCAL_COPIES/OWENS/LECT14/cones.gif
Where the sensitivities of the cones are relative. But no apparent 2nd red peak near the 400nm mark.

well, there doesn't have to be a peak, it just depends on how the curves add up. and i think i was wrong before about them adding up to form another gaussian curve. i was thinking of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sum_of_normally_distributed_random_variables" seems to address the situation here, and the difference in means may actually be close to 2 s.d., but then the amplitude of the blue isn't comparable, either. so, yeah, the blue cones would cause another peak in the spectral sensitivity at the blue end, if only their sensitivity were higher.

or maybe I've completely missed your point. it certainly does appear that stimulation of red and green cones would be almost zero for color vision at the shortest wavelengths (violet).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is violet light?

Violet light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a wavelength between approximately 380-450 nanometers, making it the shortest wavelength in the visible light spectrum.

2. How do our eyes perceive violet?

Our eyes have specialized cells called cones that are responsible for color vision. These cones have photopigments that are sensitive to different wavelengths of light. When violet light enters our eyes, the photopigments in our blue cones are stimulated, allowing us to see the color violet.

3. Why is violet often described as a "cool" color?

Violet light has a shorter wavelength than other colors in the visible spectrum, which means it has a higher frequency and energy. This higher energy can give off a cool, calming sensation when we see it.

4. Can everyone see the color violet the same way?

No, not everyone can see the color violet in the same way. Some people may have color vision deficiencies, such as color blindness, that can affect their ability to see certain colors, including violet. Additionally, individual perceptions of color can vary based on personal experiences and cultural influences.

5. How does the brain interpret the color violet?

When violet light enters our eyes and stimulates the photopigments in our cones, this information is sent to the brain through the optic nerve. The brain then interprets this signal as the color violet based on our previous experiences and associations with the color.