Macroscopic Tunneling: Probability of Occurrence

In summary: Thanks for the answer!The theory is due to our wavelengths, which are small because our macroscopic states have constituents all in a state of entanglement.Many thanks for the reply!
jdhenckel
On 8/16/09 a alxm wrote...

Macroscopic objects have a quite definite location, and do not tunnel to any appreciable extent.​

Another way to say it is: The location of a macroscopic object is only a little bit random, and the probability of tunneling is very very small.

Is that correct?

For example, the probability of a baseball tunneling to a location 1 meter away is not exactly zero, but it is very close to zero.

Is that correct?

Thanks, John

Physics news on Phys.org
It's best said that the potential (which is described by our wave functions) is vanishingly small. This dampens out any possibilities of quantum like effects.

The theory is due to our wavelengths, which are small because our macroscopic states have constituents all in a state of entanglement.

Many, thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry I don't understand your answer. When you say "vanishingly small" do you mean zero, or a little bit more than zero?

I realize that my question is hypothetical. But I just want to know the answer.

For an electron to jump 1 meter away (by tunneling) is very unlikely. However, the probability is not zero. Is it?

Likewise the probability for a proton to jump 1 m is very small, but not zero.

Likewise the probability for a hydrogen atom to jump 1 m is very small, but not zero.

Likewise the probability for a baseball... is it zero or is it non-zero?

Thanks!

john

jdhenckel said:
Many, thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry I don't understand your answer. When you say "vanishingly small" do you mean zero, or a little bit more than zero?

For an electron to jump 1 meter away (by tunneling) is very unlikely. However, the probability is not zero. Is it?

Likewise the probability for a hydrogen atom to jump 1 m is very small, but not zero.

Likewise the probability for a baseball... is it zero or is it non-zero?

Thanks!

john

Thanks for replying - i love intuitive minds! :)

When you say "vanishingly small" do you mean zero, or a little bit more than zero?

By vanishingly small, it can be considered in calculus as either an oscillating

A value or one which is very close to the predicted Cosmological Constant

Sir, physics in general is a theoretical stage of possibilities. :)

By what mathematican certainty?? It's possible a couple of entangled/couples quarks can hav an energy highly undefined.. remember the OH MY GOD PARTILE ;) It;s wave function may be small, but equally, the wave function determining the Feynman Intergral Actions takes alln histories into recognition.

1. What is macroscopic tunneling?

Macroscopic tunneling is a quantum phenomenon where a macroscopic object, such as a particle or a system of particles, can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to do so according to classical physics.

2. How does macroscopic tunneling occur?

Macroscopic tunneling occurs due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level. According to quantum mechanics, particles do not have a definite position or energy, but instead exist as a probability wave. This allows for the possibility of particles to tunnel through barriers.

3. What is the probability of macroscopic tunneling occurring?

The probability of macroscopic tunneling occurring depends on the energy of the particles and the height and width of the potential barrier. Generally, the lower the energy of the particles and the thinner and lower the potential barrier, the higher the probability of tunneling.

4. Can macroscopic tunneling be observed in everyday life?

No, macroscopic tunneling is a phenomenon that can only be observed at the quantum level. It is not possible for objects in our everyday world to tunnel through macroscopic barriers due to their large mass and energy requirements.

5. How is macroscopic tunneling relevant in scientific research?

Macroscopic tunneling is relevant in many fields of science, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and chemistry. It has practical applications in technologies such as tunneling microscopes and tunneling transistors. Understanding macroscopic tunneling can also provide insight into the behavior of particles at the quantum level.