Force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket

In summary, The speaker has been trying to determine the tensile force needed to rip a threaded tube out of its female threaded socket. They found a source online and used shear area and ultimate strength to calculate the force, but the numbers were too high. They suspect the issue may be with the calculation of shear area and are seeking advice on other methods. One suggestion is to use Yield strength instead for a more reasonable and safer result. The speaker also mentions two other checks that should be considered.
beartato
Hello everyone.

I have been trying to determine the tensile force needed to rip a threaded tube out of its female threaded socket. After some Google searching, I found this:

http://www.engineersedge.com/thread_strength/thread_bolt_stress.htm

I used shear area, which I believed to be an "equivalent" cross-sectional area of a bolt, and multiplied by the ultimate strength of the material to calculate force necessary for failure. However, my numbers ended up being way too high.

Perhaps I misunderstood the meaning of shear area; this calculation would not work if shear area is not perpendicular to the axial force that I am trying to get. I have looked around for other ways of solving my problem, but haven't had much luck, and so decided to post here for some inspiration. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The area you used should not be the problem, the strength is. It is much more reasonable to use Yield strength. At yield the material will be permanantly deforming. This will give you a low number but its safer this way!

If your thread length is at all generous your bolt will twist off or fail in tension before the threads shear off. You have two other checks, tension on the net area, and shear due to torque on the net area, one of these two typically governs. S

1. What is the force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket?

The force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket can vary depending on several factors such as the size and material of the tube, the type of thread, and the tightness of the fit. Generally, it can range from a few pounds to several hundred pounds.

2. How is the force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket calculated?

The force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket can be calculated using the formula F = μ x N, where F is the force in pounds, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction can be determined by testing the materials or by consulting engineering tables.

3. What is the normal force in the calculation of the force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket?

The normal force is the force that is perpendicular to the surface of the socket. In the case of a threaded tube, it is the force that is pushing the tube into the socket. This force is important in determining the amount of friction between the tube and the socket.

4. Can the force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket be reduced?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the force required to pull a threaded tube from its socket. One way is to use lubrication to reduce the coefficient of friction. Another way is to use a different type of thread with a lower coefficient of friction. Additionally, adjusting the fit of the tube in the socket can also help reduce the force required.

5. What are some common challenges when pulling a threaded tube from its socket?

One of the most common challenges when pulling a threaded tube from its socket is overcoming the friction between the threads. This can be especially difficult if the tube has been in place for a long time and has become tightly fitted. Another challenge is ensuring that the tube is pulled out straight to avoid damaging the threads or the socket.