Calculate Flow Rate using Pressure & Diameter

In summary, the formula for calculating flow rate using pressure and diameter is Q = (π * D^2 * √(2gh))/4. The unit of measurement for flow rate is typically volume per unit time. Pressure has a direct relationship with flow rate, with higher pressure resulting in a higher flow rate. Pipe diameter is significant as it determines the cross-sectional area for fluid flow. However, there are limitations and assumptions to consider, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being laminar, and accounting for frictional losses and accurate units.
hoshe
I need to hook up an instrument that requires a source of compressed air at 47psi and 4cfm. I have a pressure gauge so I can measure the pressure at the source. It seems to me that I should be able to calculate the flow rate if I know the pressure and the diameter of the pipe. Can anyone help me figure that out?

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is the formula for calculating flow rate using pressure and diameter?

The formula for calculating flow rate using pressure and diameter is Q = (π * D^2 * √(2gh))/4, where Q is the flow rate, D is the diameter of the pipe, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the change in height or pressure.

What is the unit of measurement for flow rate?

The unit of measurement for flow rate is typically volume per unit time, such as liters per second or cubic meters per hour.

How does pressure affect flow rate?

Pressure has a direct relationship with flow rate. An increase in pressure will result in an increase in flow rate, and a decrease in pressure will result in a decrease in flow rate. This is because higher pressure pushes the fluid through the pipe faster, resulting in a higher flow rate.

What is the significance of pipe diameter in calculating flow rate?

Pipe diameter plays a crucial role in calculating flow rate as it determines the cross-sectional area through which the fluid can flow. A larger diameter will result in a larger cross-sectional area and therefore a higher flow rate, while a smaller diameter will result in a smaller cross-sectional area and a lower flow rate.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when using this formula to calculate flow rate?

This formula assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that the flow is laminar. It also does not take into account any frictional losses in the system. Additionally, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent and that the value for acceleration due to gravity is accurate for the location where the calculation is being performed.