Probelm with fringes/interference

• Thread starter rooseallie
  • Start date
Your Name]In summary, Allie is trying to calculate the thickness of a 20nm thin film using a laser with a wavelength of 632.8nm and an angle of incidence of 45 degrees. She has tried using the equations m*lambda = d*sin_theta and d = m/2Dm*sqrt(n^2 - sin^2_theta), but these are not accurate for reflected light. Instead, she should use the equation d = m*lambda/(4n*cos(theta)) and make sure to use the correct value for the refractive index and consistent units in her calculations.
rooseallie

Homework Statement

Basically I have a thin film that I know is 20nm and I want to verify its thickness. I use a laser that is 632.8nm, angle of incidence is 45 degrees, refractive index of the film is 1.95, fringe spacing is roughly 1.5mm, and I have 6 bright fringes on the screen that is 25cm away from the sample that the light is scattered off.

Homework Equations

I tried the usual m*lambda = d*sin_theta and nothing works out. I would like to calculate it in terms of the fringe spacing

The Attempt at a Solution

i used another formula: d = m/2Dm*sqrt(n^2 - sin^2_thetha) where m is the number of fringes in the wavenumber region Dm, which is calculated from dm = 2*pi/lambda.

any help is greatly appreciated! Allie

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Allie,

Thank you for sharing your experiment and the equations you have tried. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things to consider in order to accurately calculate the thickness of your thin film.

Firstly, it is important to note that the equations you are using assume that the light is passing through the film, rather than being reflected off of it. Since you are using a laser and measuring the fringes on a screen, I assume that the light is being reflected off the film. In this case, the equations you have used will not give you an accurate result.

To calculate the thickness of a thin film using reflected light, you can use the equation d = m*lambda/2n, where m is the number of fringes, lambda is the wavelength of the light, and n is the refractive index of the film. However, this equation assumes that the angle of incidence is 0 degrees. Since your angle of incidence is 45 degrees, you will need to use the equation d = m*lambda/(4n*cos(theta)), where theta is the angle of incidence.

In addition, it is important to make sure that you are using the correct value for the refractive index. The refractive index can vary depending on the wavelength of the light, so make sure you are using the correct value for the 632.8nm laser.

Lastly, it is important to consider the units of your measurements. In your post, you have given the fringe spacing as 1.5mm, but the distance to the screen as 25cm. Make sure to use consistent units in your calculations.

I hope this helps you in calculating the thickness of your thin film. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is the cause of fringes in interference?

The fringes observed in interference patterns are caused by the constructive and destructive interference of light waves. When two or more waves overlap, they can either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in bright and dark fringes, respectively.

2. How does the distance between the light source and the screen affect fringes?

The distance between the light source and the screen does not directly affect fringes in interference. However, it can indirectly affect the intensity of the fringes by changing the angle at which the light waves interact with each other. This can alter the path length difference between the waves, resulting in a change in the interference pattern.

3. Can different colors of light create different interference patterns?

Yes, different colors of light have different wavelengths, which can result in different interference patterns. The spacing between fringes is directly related to the wavelength of the light, so different colors will have different fringe patterns due to their varying wavelengths.

4. How does the width of the slits or obstacles affect interference patterns?

The width of the slits or obstacles can affect the interference pattern by changing the diffraction of the light waves. Wider slits or obstacles will result in a wider central bright fringe and narrower dark fringes, while narrower slits or obstacles will result in a narrower central bright fringe and wider dark fringes. This is due to the changing diffraction patterns of the light waves passing through different sized openings.

5. Can interference patterns be observed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, interference patterns can be observed with other types of waves besides light, such as sound waves, water waves, and radio waves. The principles of interference are the same for all types of waves, so they can all exhibit similar patterns under the right conditions.