Complex Analysis Complex Integration Question

In summary, the conversation is discussing question 1(g) in a picture involving the independence of path of a contour. The function being integrated is z^1/2 and the contour starts at pi and ends at i on the complex plane. The term "principal branch" is mentioned and refers to the Log function, but there is also a principal branch for the square root function. The textbook being used is Fundamentals of Complex Analysis with Applications to Engineering and Science by E. B. Saff & A. D. Snider. The antiderivative of z^1/2 is 2/3*z^3/2, which can be written as 2/3*e^(3/2*ln(z)). The fundamental
ha9981
Its question 1(g) in the picture. My work is shown there as well. This has to do with independence of path of a contour. Reason I am suspicious is that first there is a different answer online and second it says "principal branch" which I have not understood. Does that mean a straight line for start to end point?

The contour starts at pi and ends at i on the complex plane. Also the function integrated is z^1/2.

Here is the picture:
uk5cR.jpg

sorry idk why image is flipped side ways when uploading, i fear this will make it even more challenging for someone to want to answer this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Principle branch normally refers to Log, are you sure you are looking at the right problem?

Also what textbook are you using? I'm curious.

Ignore the above, I forgot how fractional exponents are defined.

Last edited:
Skrew said:
Principle branch normally refers to Log

This isn't true. There is a principal branch for the square root as well.

Dickfore said:
This isn't true. There is a principal branch for the square root as well.

You're right, I forgot how fractional exponets were defined(as it involves log..).

Textbook is Fundamentals of Complex Analysis with Applications to Engineering and Science by E. B. Saff & A. D. Snider. Also what has the principal have to do with fractional exponents? Is there a region where it isn't defined?

The antiderivative of z^1/2 = 2/3*z^3/2.

Now 2/3*z^3/2 = 2/3*e^ln(z^3/2) = 2/3*e^(3/2*ln(z)) (if I remmember correctly)

Now the fundamental theoreom of calculus in the complex case says that the path is independent in any domain where an antiderivativie exists.

The principle branch of ln is the complex plane excluding the orgin and the negative axis.

So the contour in the diagram should have no interference with the principal branch right?

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. Complex numbers are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). Complex analysis is important because it has applications in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a way of finding the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a real interval, it integrates over a complex path. Complex integrals are often used in complex analysis to evaluate functions and calculate important quantities such as residues and contour integrals.

3. What is the Cauchy integral theorem?

The Cauchy integral theorem states that if a function f(z) is analytic (differentiable) at all points on a closed contour C, then the integral of f(z) over C is equal to 0. This theorem is important in complex analysis because it allows us to calculate complex integrals using only the values of the function at points inside the contour, rather than having to evaluate the integral directly.

4. How do we calculate complex integrals using the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows us to calculate complex integrals using only the values of a function at its singularities. To use the residue theorem, we first find the singularities (points where the function is not analytic) of the function we are integrating, then we calculate the residues (values of the function at the singularities), and finally we use the residues to evaluate the integral using a special formula.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex analysis and complex integration?

Complex analysis and complex integration have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include using complex analysis to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, using complex integration to solve problems in fluid dynamics, and using complex analysis to analyze the stability of complex systems in control theory. Complex analysis is also used in computer science for signal processing, image processing, and data compression algorithms.