Energy lost when current is induced in a loop

In summary, the conversation includes discussions about whether a proton passing through a loop of wire will induce a current and if it will lose energy and slow down. It is concluded that the proton will not slow down as the loop of wire remains uniformly neutral. The conversation also explores the effects of a stream of protons and the behavior of a B-field generated by a moving charge. It is determined that a stationary object will experience a changing B-field when an electron approaches and this can result in a current that slows down the electron, but if the electron passes through a loop of wire, there will be no magnetic flux.
Northprairieman
Hi there,

If a proton passes through a loop of wire, it induces a tiny current in the wire. Will the proton lose energy and slow down as a result of this?

If so, by how much?

Physics news on Phys.org
The proton will slow down.

I think I2R will be the energy lost by the proton.

If a proton passes through a loop of wire, it induces a tiny current in the wire.
Forgive me, but I am finding this statement hard to accept. Thanks to the proton there will be an E field, axially symmetric and forward pointing, with a radially outward component. There will also be a B field, axially symmetric and pointing along the circumference. I don't see how either of these fields will induce a current in the wire.

If you tried the same experiment using the pole of a magnet instead of the proton, *then* you will induce a current in the wire. Is that what you're thinking of??

oh yeah. i had it wrong.
proton is just a current. it'll induce a magnetic field around. no electric field. you're right. it won't slow down assuming the loops is uniformly neutral.

Thanks for the responses. So what if you had a stream of protons? Would that be equivalent to the pole of a magnet?

In this stream of protons, will each successive proton be slowed down because the proton before it passing through the loop made the loop of wire no longer uniformly neutral?

Northprairieman said:
Thanks for the responses. So what if you had a stream of protons? Would that be equivalent to the pole of a magnet?

In this stream of protons, will each successive proton be slowed down because the proton before it passing through the loop made the loop of wire no longer uniformly neutral?

Whether it's a stream of protons or a single proton, it won't make any difference will it? There will still be no current induced because there is no changing magnetic flux through the loop.

ya if you just had a steady stream of protons, you would have a static B field and it wouldn't induce a current. And if you had just one proton moving I am not sure if this counts as a current, I think i remember reading something about this in Griffiths.

So according to this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=487014

In the little diagram there, it shows a B field generated by a moving charge. So if I understand this correctly, that's a "static" B-field (not a moving B-field) and hence does not produce a magnetic flux?

What if the charge were accelerating?

Northprairieman said:
So according to this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=487014

In the little diagram there, it shows a B field generated by a moving charge. So if I understand this correctly, that's a "static" B-field (not a moving B-field) and hence does not produce a magnetic flux?

The B-field is static in the reference frame of the electron. For a stationary object, the B-field
will increase if the electron approaches, and decrease when it moves away again.
You will get a current that slows down the electron, but if the electron goes through the loop of wire, there won't be any magnetic flux at all going through the loop.

What is current induction and how does it affect energy loss?

Current induction refers to the process of creating an electric current in a conducting loop by changing the magnetic flux through the loop. This process can result in energy loss due to the creation of an opposing current, known as an induced current, which generates heat and dissipates energy.

Why does energy loss occur when current is induced in a loop?

Energy loss occurs when current is induced in a loop because of the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a changing magnetic field passes through a conducting loop, it induces an opposing current in the loop, which creates a resistance to the flow of the original current and results in energy loss.

What factors can affect the amount of energy lost during current induction?

The amount of energy lost during current induction can be affected by various factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the conducting loop, and the speed at which the magnetic field is changing. The greater these factors are, the more energy will be lost.

How can energy loss be minimized during current induction?

Energy loss during current induction can be minimized by using materials with low electrical resistance, such as superconductors, which have virtually zero resistance. Additionally, using a smaller and more efficient conducting loop can also reduce energy loss.

Is energy loss during current induction always a negative thing?

No, energy loss during current induction is not always a negative thing. In some cases, it can be intentionally harnessed for useful purposes, such as in transformers, which use current induction to transfer energy from one circuit to another. However, in most cases, energy loss is considered undesirable and steps are taken to minimize it.